The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Believing and evidence.

+4
Mordae
Rockhopper
Rogue
Agartha
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Believing and evidence. - Page 2 Empty Re: Believing and evidence.

Post by Lenzabi Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:28 pm

And like I said in another thread, it can blind them. I accepted long ago that things I say yet cannot drop proof on some desk or scale means I may be seen as what the person getting what I say as sparks of truth, or that I am indeed a madman. I allow the person hearing or reading what I have to say at their own discretion. It is why I never get angry when others do not believe me, or challenge me. Of course there is the 3rd option that I am a truth spewing madman! But not an angry one.
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:15 pm

A belief system is just that - something that some-one believes.

Often they are based on a logical fallacy, that is; they can't be proved either way.

Remember Len there's a thin line between genius and madness! Very Happy

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:04 pm

Rockhopper wrote:A belief system is just that - something that some-one believes.

Often they are based on a logical fallacy, that is; they can't be proved either way.

Tim.

True Rock, It's just a jump to the left, then a step to the right!

Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordae Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:43 am

Rockhopper wrote:A belief system is just that - something that some-one believes.

Tim.

Yep, and like I told Firefly in another forum, that line is consistency Wink
Mordae
Mordae

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordae Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:48 am

Rogue wrote:
Can many conflicting truths exist at the same time?

Most probably, especially if the line that quantum mechanics appears to be heading towards (that on some level, your perception defines your reality) holds "true" (pun intended). You can see plenty of examples of this in the US and Russian press reports about the Ukraine crisis. Each holds their version to be "true" according to their PoV.
Mordae
Mordae

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:49 pm

A belief is fine as long as the believer doesn't try to impose those beliefs on others. "Dr" Stefan Lanka in Germany, who is a HIV denier, claims that measles virus is psychosomatic and not a virus. He put out a challenge to others to prove that measles virus exists for 100,000 Euros. The challenge was taken up and Lanka refused to pay so it went to Court, The Court ordered him to pay up.

Lanka should explain his "Theory" to all the families of 86,000 people who have died from measles especially children.

Hoax challenges are pure publicity stunts – they sound grandiose but typically are framed in such a way that the one issuing the challenge can wiggle out of ever having to pay. They are rigged from the beginning, mainly by not spelling out what kind of evidence would meet the challenge.

I guess Lanka got a little sloppy. He issued a 100,000 Euro challenge to anyone who could prove the measles virus exists. That’s right – the measles virus. Lanka is an HIV denier from back in the 1990s (and still denying HIV). HIV denial is the claim that AIDS does not exist as a discrete medical illness, or at least is not caused by a specific virus, and in fact the human immunodeficiency virus does not really exist.

Many denialism beliefs deal with a scientific conclusion that is based, at least in part, on scientific inference. Evolution is a great example. While we now have seen evolution occur in the laboratory, major evolutionary changes take at least tens of thousands of years, so we are never going to see it directly. We have to infer that evolution occurred through multiple lines of evidence (genetics, the fossil record, etc.). This allows deniers to complain about the lack of direct evidence, as if that is the only kind of evidence that is truly scientific.

The existence of viruses is also largely determined through inference. Most viruses are too small to see even through a microscope, and they can’t be easily grown in a dish like bacteria. Viruses are identified through isolating antibodies to them, isolating viral proteins, demonstrating biochemical activity, demonstrating disease activity, and eventually taking electron micrographs of viral particles. Taken together this evidence can be absolutely definitive, but the denier can continue to argue that the evidence is all indirect or mistaken.

Source.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Thu May 21, 2015 10:28 am

Rogue wrote:
Can many conflicting truths exist at the same time?

Good question, I would answer anything can exist at anytime, or even better everything exist at the same time.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Fri May 22, 2015 2:25 am

It's all down to the beliefs of the believer..... you exist with your truth, I exist with mine and we should respect that.... but when we talk about evidence, that's a different story. Very Happy
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Fri May 22, 2015 10:12 am

Agartha wrote:It's all down to the beliefs of the believer..... you exist with your truth, I exist with mine and we should respect that.... but when we talk about evidence, that's a different story. Very Happy

Ags, how can we definitively prove anything? There will always remain the possibility that we are wrong. Its always just a matter of time and everything will be proven wrong or right..

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Sat May 23, 2015 8:36 am

Stargate wrote:
Agartha wrote:It's all down to the beliefs of the believer..... you exist with your truth, I exist with mine and we should respect that.... but when we talk about evidence, that's a different story. Very Happy

Ags, how can we definitively prove anything? There will always remain the possibility that we are wrong. Its always just a matter of time and everything will be proven  wrong or right..

Rather things be proven in their own time, rather than forcibly so by some on many as history had shown.
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum