The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Racism Has No Bounds

5 posters

Go down

Racism Has No Bounds Empty Racism Has No Bounds

Post by Kaere Sun May 03, 2015 2:25 pm

Just in case you thought it only went one way Sad

http://aptn.ca/news/2015/05/03/mohawk-mans-house-targeted-kahnawake-non-indigenous-wife/

The Mohawks slogan... "Marry Out, Get Out".

You can find charming folks everywhere, it seems.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Racism Has No Bounds Empty Re: Racism Has No Bounds

Post by Rockhopper Sun May 03, 2015 3:45 pm

Yea Ka, we tend to think of racism as being white on others but that's not true. There is racism on all variants of humanity and there shouldn't be -- we are all the same humans.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Sun May 03, 2015 4:58 pm

The idea is that they want to rebuild their numbers, but they are not pleasant about it.
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Sun May 03, 2015 5:03 pm

I don't think so Lenz... their numbers weren't decimated in quite the same way here as in the south. Their culture was under attack in a different way via Catholicism and residential schools, forced separation and indoctrination. A person with even 1/4 native blood is considered to have Status. So the children of their marriage are Mohawk. It's the white wife... some folks have decided they don't want whites living on their reserve land.

The article goes on to say that there is some belief he is being persecuted for a different band council reason and some folks are using the white wife as an excuse to try to get him out of their council politics.

I dunno. Stinky situation.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Sun May 03, 2015 5:10 pm

Yeah still stinks, but I did actually speak with a Mohawk leader, and this was back when I thought I might be Mohawk not yet figuring out Seminole, and they had that restriction, 1/4 is as low as they allow. She was very unmoveable at that concept, 1/4 or more Mohawk and you are allowed in, and on their lands.

Even though I am likely 50% Seminole, I am officially listed Caucasian, and have been raised as Caucasian, so hard to say, plus I hate Florida level heat!
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Mon May 04, 2015 10:10 am

Oh racism does happen everywhere, I was a victim of that with my ex in laws, especially ex father in law.... he was always very honest that he would have liked his son married to a woman of his own ethnicity.... silly people!
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Wed May 20, 2015 11:26 am

I had a girlfriend in Germany many years ago. She kept telling me she wanted to take me home to meet her parents but she knew her father was a man who was very conscious about his German heritage. We really liked each other and she was insisting she was going to take me to meet them. I agreed and one day we went to face the truth. I went to her house to meet them. Her mother was quite nice to me I did not meet her father because he was not home at the time. However after we sat talking for a while he came home, he was not disrespectful but I could feel his resentment. This German man loved his daughter more than himself, and because of that he was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

To make a long story short, my girlfriend was very happy he received me and she kept inviting me to come home with her. After some time her father and I began to get into some good discussions and it got deeper and deeper. We discussed everything from politics to culture, I picked up that he tolerated no other culture but the German one and he was in no way ready to accept any type of mixtures, at least not for his daughter. As time went by he began to ask for me when I did not accompany his daughter home. We went so far that he himself would want to know when I was coming back to visit.

Slowly but surely we became friends and one day I asked him what had happened, because he was so much against anyone who was not German. After a long pause he told me I was different, I wanted to know what he meant with that. He told me he expected me to be something different than he had expected, I wanted to know what he expected. The truth he told me he expected me to be different than himself and he was finding out that i was not different.

The jest of my story is that racism is another way to hide from self. If we can go a little deeper in ourselves we would see that under all of the disrespect and miscommunication lies fear. If you ask me, fear of what I cannot answer because there are so many things that connects us as one on this one planet.

Hi Ags, my sister, missed you a lot.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Wed May 20, 2015 5:47 pm

Fear is the mind killer, the little death.
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down