The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Perseids

4 posters

Go down

Perseids Empty Perseids

Post by Kaere Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:24 am

I'll be in the backyard wrapped up in a blanket, if anyone wants to join me Smile

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/perseid-meteor-shower-how-to-catch-the-most-falling-stars-1.3183590

Excerpt:
You're in luck — it's a particularly good year for viewing the Perseid meteor shower, which peaks this week and is widely considered to be the best annual shooting star show.

"It is usually the strongest one of the year, so you see more meteors per minute than other meteor showers," says J. Randy Attwood, executive director of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada.

"This is the one in the year where I would say that it would be worth someone's while to make an effort to see it."

This year is better than most for viewing the Perseids, as Aug. 14 is a new moon, so there will no "light pollution" in the form of moonlight to wash out the fainter meteors.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Perseids Empty Re: Perseids

Post by Rogue Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:33 am

Enjoy!! Not much hope at all for us downunder Sad
The Perseids are one of the year’s most reliable and best showers — albeit one that is essentially invisible to Australian observers. For viewers in the northern hemisphere, however, they provide an annual summer treat that rivals the winter Geminids in intensity and spectacle.

The Perseids are fast, bright meteors, tied to the famous comet 109P/Swift-Tuttle, which is set to be particularly spectacular at its next perihelion passage, in 2126. The shower is active from mid-July to the end of August, but is at its best on the nights of the August 12 and 13, when rates often exceed 100 meteors per hour.

It will doubtless be possible to follow the shower online. And if you happen to be in the northern hemisphere at the time, the Perseids are well worth a look.
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/01/when-to-see-meteor-showers-in-australia-in-2015/
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:41 am

*pouts* that's very not fair...
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:38 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/perseids-2015-biggest-meteor-shower-of-the-year-peaks-tonight-1.3187355

There is a live stream link in the article Very Happy and an indication that there will be good viewing each night right up until the 24th or 25th. Can't hurt to try Smile
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:06 am

Rogue wrote:
Enjoy!! Not much hope at all for us downunder  Sad

Nor us either. Not that the sky is any good anyway, it's cast all over!

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:53 am

Saw some last night, but not many Sad *hmph*
Stirky
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:37 am

I gave it a shot but didn't see any! Bummer.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:02 pm

Yeah friends of mine on FB were saying they saw loads and some big ones with trails!! We had a bit of cloud coming in here though as thunderstorms around, so sky was only clear in places. I did see some awesome lightning though Smile
Stirky
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum