The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bomb downed Russian plane

+3
Solace
Stirky
Rogue
7 posters

Go down

Bomb downed Russian plane Empty Bomb downed Russian plane

Post by Rogue Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:32 am

REPORT: Investigators '90 Percent Sure' Bomb Downed Russian Plane
Reuters By Ahmed Mohamed Hassan and Michael Georgy
Posted: 11/08/2015 07:02 PM EST | Edited: 2 hours ago

CAIRO, Nov 8 (Reuters) - Investigators of the Russian plane crash in Egypt are "90 percent sure" the noise heard in the final second of a cockpit recording was an explosion caused by a bomb, a member of the investigation team told Reuters on Sunday.

The Airbus A321 crashed 23 minutes after taking off from the Sharm al-Sheikh tourist resort eight days ago, killing all 224 passengers and crew. Islamic State militants fighting Egyptian security forces in Sinai said they brought it down.

"The indications and analysis so far of the sound on the black box indicate it was a bomb," said the Egyptian investigation team member, who asked not to be named due to sensitivities. "We are 90 percent sure it was a bomb."

His comments reflect a much greater degree of certainty about the cause of the crash than the investigation committee has so far declared in public.

Lead investigator Ayman al-Muqaddam announced on Saturday that the plane appeared to have broken up in mid-air while it was being flown on auto-pilot, and that a noise had been heard in the last second of the cockpit recording. But he said it was too soon to draw conclusions about why the plane crashed.

Confirmation that militants brought down the airliner could have a devastating impact on Egypt's lucrative tourist industry, which has suffered from years of political turmoil and was hit last week when Russia, Turkey and several European countries suspended flights to Sharm al-Sheikh and other destinations.

It could also mark a new strategy by the hardline Islamic State group which holds large parts of Syria and Iraq.

Asked to explain the remaining 10 percent margin of doubt, the investigator declined to elaborate, but Muqaddam cited other possibilities on Saturday including a fuel explosion, metal fatigue in the plane or lithium batteries overheating.

He said debris was scattered over a 13-km (8-mile) area "which is consistent with an in-flight break-up."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/report-investigators-90-percent-sure-bomb-downed-russian-plane_563fdf12e4b0b24aee4abbb8
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Bomb downed Russian plane Empty Re: Bomb downed Russian plane

Post by Stirky Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:48 am

Yes it's been awful. It's so easy to get things through the airports in Egypt. Staff will take a back hander to sneak unchecked bags onto planes, a lot of drugs go through Sharm airport so would've been easy to sneak other things through. My mum used to go to Sharm every year, she said the Egyptians will do anything for some money. That's the way it is there, so security is not high.

As soon as that plane came down I thought it must have been a terrorist attack. Seemed a bit odd how the Russians have just got involved with Syria, and then all of a sudden that happens.

My sister's two grandchildren and daughter-in-law are currently stuck in Sharm still trying to get back home. They are only allowing a few flights out per day and no luggage is allowed to be brought back, just hand luggage.
Stirky
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Solace Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:51 am

I hope they make it home soon Stirky!
Solace
Solace

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:44 am

Hope so xx
Stirky
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:58 pm

A lot of propaganda Stirks, you can bet it's about making Russia look bad, plus weaving a web between the new found relationship between Russia and Egypt. The accusation of state support from Russia for the past Olympic games, is also a part of the propaganda.
The problem is Russia should get out of Syria, because it's interfering with some other self interesting plans.
Don't get me wrong, Russia is no angel, but not such a devil at the moment.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:46 pm

Right on Star.

Syria is a shambles and it's not going the way that the Yanx wanted. Syria has a military that is a match for Israel so it has to be "Broken".

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:24 am

Not broken yet, and now Russia is backing them. So, no way will things go the US way in Syria.
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:44 am

The way I see it guys, the real problem is the broken dollar, and the new debt ceiling, there has to be something to divert attention.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:02 pm

Ukraine is still on my mind, seems there's still a vested interest on their part to cause a ruckus for Russia. Chechens too. I haven't heard that anyone has taken credit for the bomb (or the accident at all, for that matter). I wonder if there's a clue in the absence of such a thing.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:07 pm

Kaere wrote:Ukraine is still on my mind, seems there's still a vested interest on their part to cause a ruckus for Russia. Chechens too. I haven't heard that anyone has taken credit for the bomb (or the accident at all, for that matter). I wonder if there's a clue in the absence of such a thing.
I guess its all in the mix K, we are at the beginning stages of things to come.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down