The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trump: The Global Disaster waiting to happen

5 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Trump: The Global Disaster waiting to happen Empty Trump: The Global Disaster waiting to happen

Post by Rogue Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:00 am

Courting disaster: The terrifying reality of a world with President Trump
FEBRUARY 25, 20165:08PM
News.com.au

BE afraid. Be very afraid.

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is crushing it in the race to represent his party at the polls, and, as bizarre as it sounds, it’s time to start seriously thinking about an existence with the eccentric billionaire as the most powerful man in the world.

The former reality TV star and failed steak entrepreneur's resounding overnight win in the key state of Nevada has all but cemented his spot in this year’s presidential election, putting him in a strong position ahead of next week’s “Super Tuesday” contests, where voters in a dozen states will cast ballots in presidential primaries.

But US politics experts are warning a Trump win in that race could lead to global disaster.
With mentions of economic unrest, hurling aggressive insults at global leaders, and handing over control of the world’s most sophisticated military force, news.com.au was left feeling largely unenthused about Trump’s America following an interview with senior lecturer at the University of Sydney’s United States Studies Centre, David Smith.

“It’s not a subject anyone wants to think about, but the reality is now we have to,” he said.
“It’s very likely that Trump is going to get the Republican nomination at this stage. His likely opposition would be Hillary Clinton, and instinctively most feel that Hillary Clinton would beat him fairly easily. But then again everyone felt he wasn’t going to get far in the nomination race either.”

Trump has been running on a very thin platform. On his campaign website he offers his position on only five issues: reforming immigration, trade, tax, care for veterans, and protecting gun rights.
On the road, campaigning in front of Republican voters and those he’s trying to turn, the veteran businessman has been more outspoken about his presidential plans.

From building a “great wall” to block unauthorised migration to the US via Mexico, to his plans to swiftly taking down China in the global manufacturing wars, Trump has been talking a big game. But what he is able to enforce is another issue.

“There’s no way he’ll be able to get Mexico to build the wall, he’s not just suddenly going to be able to displace China from the top of the world’s manufacturing economy. He wants single payer health care which is something a lot of Democrats would like but Hillary Clinton is currently running on a campaign saying you’ll never get that through congress and it’s unlikely he’ll be able to either,” Dr Smith said.

But Trump is not one to be deterred by the prospect of failure. His business record shows he’s had about as many massive failures as major successes, showing a “try anything and see what sticks” attitude to business, and now potentially politics.

“It’s very worrying to people who in the presidency are fundamentally looking for a safe pair of hands, but to supporters of Trump, what they feel is that president after president has betrayed them, so they’re happy to have someone who’s completely different to any other president before him,” Dr Smith said.

GLOBAL DISASTER’ WAITING TO HAPPEN

Dr Smith says the potential disaster of a Trump presidency could be felt globally.
“There’s a limited amount that the president can do directly to influence the economy, but things they do and say can have major effects on certain markets. Stock markets can react violently to certain announcements, and it’s quite possible that Trump could spook markets in a way that could have negative effects for the economy overall,” he said.

“If he’s going to get involved in the trade war with China, really, nobody is going to win that war, that is like courting global disaster. The two economic giants of the world being involved in a trade war would be disastrous. That’s not what the rest of the world and the majority of the US wants. He’s suggested he’s not going to get involved in as many actual military wars as his predecessors did, but given his generally aggressive demeanours, other countries might interpret a Trump presidency in hostile terms.”

So economic chaos and military action could very well be on the cards, but that’s not even the worst of it.

“The thought of him having access to the nuclear codes, given that at a rally recently he said that he wanted to punch a protester in the face, plus his total intolerance of the sect — it’s not a combination we really want to explore,” Dr Smith said.

There’s no guarantees, of course, that Trump will romp it in and claim the White House, but the prospect is becoming more real. Last month, the man himself claimed he could “stand in the middle of Fifth Ave and shoot somebody” and he wouldn’t lose votes.

“If he was president and everything he said had consequences, that would be serious, because now he’s dealing with leaders of other countries, global markets, and things that presidents do and say really affect markets,” Dr Smith says.

Full article http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/courting-disaster-the-terrifying-reality-of-a-world-with-president-trump/news-story/b40934b7b5f5574c40b499c13f870594

Last edited by Rogue on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Trump: The Global Disaster waiting to happen Empty Re: Trump: The Global Disaster waiting to happen

Post by Kaere Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:16 am

It's the potential for war that really makes my hair stand on end... we can hope that if he does get into power, those that can will block his more bonehead moves.

Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Trump: The Global Disaster waiting to happen Empty Re: Trump: The Global Disaster waiting to happen

Post by Rogue Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:24 am

Trump: The Global Disaster waiting to happen SkchoARvKfA013bWiEoBNeCLVcBHpIKiVFlKNClBAwH1pEaKZow94JE5HotPHo6-0CmiqpqRK9sngc1p8wczNPSNxoxR9AaCFJiBN0aFUYgARoadyh3eXSmv2KghUyv9zFuEdTB8Z3nbvwCVkIKu0OjfAA=w357-h412-nc
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:36 pm

Trumpy appeals to the work insecure angry white men. They are a minority at the moment. Although he's riding high in the polls, if he gets the nomination he will need to appeal to a full cross-section of Rep. voters.

When one looks at the Rep. contenders, none are really votable. Rubio is one of those kids at school that you want to take around the back of the bike shed and give him a good slapping. Cruz is a creepy freak. And Trumpy is a professional conman. I wouldn't want any of them with their finger over the button.

On the other side Bernie is the only real contender, smart, respectful and gentlemanly, not the sort that usually gets anywhere in politics. Hildebeast is a Republicrat and her baggage will come back to haunt her.

Tim.

Last edited by Rockhopper on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:36 pm

Ya gotta wonder sometimes if maybe it's true (Trump being the antichrist) Surprised it almost seems destined, y'know? Things that should have sunk him completely have had the opposite effect, it's like he can do no wrong!

I know it would affect the rest of the world in some way, we're all so tightly linked nowadays that one shaky link makes them all shake, the only question is the severity. But I will feel sorry for the American people, this could possibly change everything... lack of respect changes attitudes and if (potentially aggressive) countries feel they don't have to respect the US, things could get very very ugly... how would the US allies react, etc.

...*praying so hard for high democratic voter turnout*

Last edited by Kaere on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:44 pm

Kaere wrote:Ya gotta wonder sometimes if maybe it's true Surprised it almost seems destined, y'know? Things that should have sunk him completely have had the opposite effect, it's like he can do no wrong!

I know it would affect the rest of the world in some way, we're all so tightly linked nowadays that one shaky link makes them all shake, the only question is the severity. But I will feel sorry for the American people, this could possibly change everything... lack of respect changes attitudes and if (potentially aggressive) countries feel they don't have to respect the US, things could get very very ugly... how would the US allies react, etc.

Agreed Ka. We live in interesting times alright! Hills is playing the "I'm a Woman so vote for me" game. There is no reason why a woman can not be the Pressie but just because she's a woman is not enough.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:52 pm

With all her baggage, her hawkish behavior, her ties to so many corrupt groups, Hillary:
Trump: The Global Disaster waiting to happen 61246778
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:35 pm

Paul Krugman is a Hills Shill. That is why he attacked Bernie's policies without thoroughly investigating them.

He needs a Rubio Slap-down! Along with the other critics who have not done their homework.

Tim.

Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:42 pm

And now that others are doing the actual work and running the plan through the model generators, they are seeing it is the New Deal for this century! Bernie for 2016!
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:04 am

Kaere wrote:Ya gotta wonder sometimes if maybe it's true (Trump being the antichrist) Surprised it almost seems destined, y'know? Things that should have sunk him completely have had the opposite effect, it's like he can do no wrong!

Agreed Kaere. I really can't see how many of the US allies could continue to support Trump and the US as strongly as they might now. I just see madness where the rednecks will be in charge.
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:24 pm

I agree with whats being said, however we cannot overlook the reason why people are running to a dud. There is a saying "the stone that the builder refused becomes the head corner stone".
We do not have the same parameters for governance as before, and I might add, there is very little that Donald, or any one of the two parties can do to avoid the chaos descending upon the people of planet earth. We have reached a cross roads that no system we know or can conjure up can help. We have turned away from the basic social order and have created so many lop sided ideas of systems, that we need something from another world to save us. The neglect for not looking after our greatest asset (people) and our cultural diversity is turning on us. Some how we are routing for a cause, but getting no applause, their dreadful past is reacting at last.
Bernie was never going to win, the democratic party is really not different than the other party, we should by now know that there is a one party state in the USA, period.

Kaere, I know you like the rest of us do not want war, but consider all the money spent on weapons, don't you think they are not going to use them at some point? If Trump is going to do all he says he is going to do, he will have to go to war, simply because what he is suggesting is dictatorial.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:31 pm

Rogue wrote:Agreed Kaere. I really can't see how many of the US allies could continue to support Trump and the US as strongly as they might now. I just see madness where the rednecks will be in charge.

Yes, rednecks with no impulse control who've seen too many "rah rah usa usa!" movies *sigh*...

Stargate wrote:Kaere, I know you like the rest of us do not want war, but consider all the money spent on weapons, don't you think they are not going to use them at some point? If Trump is going to do all he says he is going to do, he will have to go to war, simply because what he is suggesting is dictatorial.

All I can say is that the allies Trump may be depending on aren't necessarily going to agree with or go along with his hair-brained schemes. If he is elected, and I truly hope he isn't, it's going to change the entire world, with new alliances and coalitions being formed imo.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:27 pm

Kaere wrote:All I can say is that the allies Trump may be depending on aren't necessarily going to agree with or go along with his hair-brained schemes. If he is elected, and I truly hope he isn't, it's going to change the entire world, with new alliances and coalitions being formed imo.

Couldn't agree more. Trumpy has no intention of "Making America Great Again" he doesn't know how to. His purpose is to make Trumpy greater not the country. It's purely self-aggrandisement.

The US's allies are going to be very circumspect if he becomes king!

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:23 am

He has some simply ridiculous ideas, no solid policy details and a hell of alot of supporters. This really is a nation turning to chaos.
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:47 am

Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:24 am

To be honest, the more this Trump tragodia plays out is the more I can see the fear of the American people bubbling up to the surface. I think Rogue is wright when he says the country is in chaos. I would take it a tad further, the world has been following the Americans pe-pe-cluck-cluck, and now they are realizing they all stand before a deepening cliff without knowing how they got there.
For example, the power of the whole atomic nations, cannot bring down a small unit like Isis, the thing is the world and it's people do not realize they have the power to do that, yet Isis is larger than life. It is the power of the people that is threatened by the people themselves.
Can it get any worst than Hitler, yes it can, and going to.
As I see it, the only way to avoid turmoil and destruction is if they give Saunders a free hand, which is not going to happen.
Tighten your seat belts and pray if you believe in a God, or Devil.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:33 am

Idiocracy Roggles.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:46 am

...and Super Tuesday goes to the Don... of course Suspect
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:52 am

Of course Rog. Can't have an orchestra without a trumpet!

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:03 am

Americans Google 'How To Move To Canada' After Donald Trump Super Tuesday Wins
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/03/02/americans-google-how-to-m_n_9363864.html?utm_hp_ref=uk&utm_hp_ref=uk
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next