The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish Stew

4 posters

Go down

Irish Stew Empty Irish Stew

Post by Rogue Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:55 am

Ireland Voters Oust Ruling Coalition In Rejection Of Austerity
Ireland is the latest European nation to be swept into turmoil over austerity.
02/27/2016 08:08 pm ET
By Padraic Halpin and William James

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Ireland's ruling coalition was ousted by voters angry at the country's uneven recovery, results indicated on Saturday, leaving Prime Minister Enda Kenny facing the unpalatable prospect of trying to secure a deal with his biggest rival.

His government appeared to be the latest victim of European voters' growing antipathy to mainstream politics, hit by a backlash against years of austerity and a perception that Ireland's poor are not benefiting from the fastest economic growth in Europe.

Exit polls suggested the only viable option may be a problematic alliance of old rivals Fianna Fail and Kenny's Fine Gael - although even their combined support was set to fall below 50 percent of the vote for the first time.

If neither side is able to form a government, however, fresh elections would have to be called.

"The government of Fine Gael and Labour cannot be returned," Kenny told journalists late on Saturday. "I've a duty and a responsibility to work with the decision that the people have made to provide the country with a stable government, and that I intend to do fully and completely."

The center-right Fine Gael captured 26 percent of first preference votes when 38 of 40 constituencies were counted. That is far below the 36 percent it won five years ago and the 30 percent opinion poll rating it had at the start of campaigning.

Current coalition partner Labour was in line to win just 7 percent of the ballot, which spending minister Brendan Howlin said meant they were out of the equation for the next government.

Fianna Fail was set to rise to 25 percent.

"It was certainly worse than my worst fears," Health Minister Leo Varadkar, a senior member of Fine Gael. He said there was very little support for a Fine Gael-Fianna Fail coalition, but he refused to rule it out.

WEEKS TO FORM GOVERNMENT

However, Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin hinted that he would first try to form a government with other groups.

"We'll be putting a mandate before the Dail (parliament) on March 10 and seeking the support of others in the first instance and there'll be a large group of TDs (members of parliament) elected outside of Fine Gael and Sinn Fein," Martin told national broadcaster RTE.

"We're committed to ensuring the country gets a good government, but it's going to take time."

Analysts said a coalition of Fine Gael and Fianna Fail - heirs to opposing sides in a civil war almost a century ago - was the only option.

"Either we could have another election now and do away with the count, or we'll let them muddle around for a month or so and maybe they can think the unthinkable," said Michael Marsh, a professor of politics at Trinity College Dublin.

While the parties have few policy differences, one minister described the prospect as a "nightmare" during the campaign.

Others fear it would allow left-wing Sinn Fein, the former political arm of the Irish Republican Army, which polled at 15-16 percent, to establish itself as the main opposition party.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ireland-voters-oust-ruling-coalition-in-rejection-of-austerity_us_56d24099e4b0bf0dab32673b?ir=UK&section=uk_uk&utm_hp_ref=uk
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Irish Stew Empty Re: Irish Stew

Post by Kaere Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:03 am

Unrest everywhere it seems...
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:46 am

Except in Canada Wink
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:33 am

Yup!

Austerity is on the wane in Europe as people wake up to what it really is about.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:35 am

We already seem to be governed by a one world government, at the moment all the western countries are having same problems as if they are reading from the same book. On the other side all the third world nations are going through the same symptoms as if they are reading from the same book but a third world version. I notice you mention Canada Rogue, but as I read there seems to be problem up ahead and the government was promising so much. As you know we have to read everything with skepticism.

For some reason the world seem to have placed the horse before the cart and is endeavoring to go forward. When are they going to realize the horse is facing the wrong way.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:09 am

Rogue wrote:Except in Canada Wink

Oh I don't know... we have our moments of unrest these days  Smile
Irish Stew Efc73c9949c02dc2131648ae5b7888f5
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:35 am

Don't spoil my illusion... there has to be somewhere in the world surely scratch
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:19 am

Rogue wrote:
Don't spoil my illusion... there has to be somewhere in the world surely scratch

I guess that place is in your heart Rogue.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum