The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Understanding Depression

4 posters

Go down

Understanding Depression Empty Understanding Depression

Post by Rogue Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:03 am

The more I investigated depression and anxiety, the more I found that, far from being caused by a spontaneously malfunctioning brain, depression and anxiety are mostly being caused by events in our lives. If you find your work meaningless and you feel you have no control over it, you are far more likely to become depressed. If you are lonely and feel that you can’t rely on the people around you to support you, you are far more likely to become depressed. If you think life is all about buying things and climbing up the ladder, you are far more likely to become depressed. If you think your future will be insecure, you are far more likely to become depressed. I started to find a whole blast of scientific evidence that depression and anxiety are not caused in our skulls, but by the way many of us are being made to live. There are real biological factors, like your genes, that can make you significantly more sensitive to these causes, but they are not the primary drivers.

If you're interested, good article..
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-hari-depression-causes_us_5a6a144de4b0ddb658c46a21?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Understanding Depression Empty Re: Understanding Depression

Post by Lenzabi Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:08 pm

Yep, shitty world and society is what drives us nuts.
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueCrazyLion Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:28 pm

Very powerful and informative article. It resonates a lot with me personally, and makes a huge amount of sense. I think it’s very insightful and well written.
Thanks for sharing Rogue, great work!
TrueCrazyLion
TrueCrazyLion

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:37 am

I think more so than anything else the main reason for the upsurge in depression is that we are losing touch with each other. Life is about giving and sharing, not constant deciphering who is right or wrong. it is better to have a true friend than a whole lot of money. It is better to share your experience that loading everything on to yourself. It is better to have a bad family that to have non at all.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:23 pm

I agree mostly with you Star, but I'm not sure that a bad family is better than no family. I've seen plenty of families that have traumatised and ruined the lives of their children. But I do understand the general point you're making.
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueCrazyLion Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:56 pm

I know that every situation is unique and different in its own way, but on the subject of whether a bad family or no family is better, I can only speak from personal experience:
I haven't spoken to or contacted my parents at all for more than 4 years now - and I don't miss them. They caused me untold grief in various ways for years, I tried my hardest to make things work with them but it was never enough for them, they never apologised or took responsibility for their wrongdoings, and it became clear that they weren't going to change as people either - eventually it got to the stage where I had to draw the line somewhere in order to protect myself. These last 4 years I've been happier than I was at any time when my parents were in my life, which shows me that I made the right decision.
I don't think we should keep a particular person in our lives if that person is a constant drain on our energy and a constant toxic presence. I know that family are meant to be the ones that are closest to us and mean the most to us, but I think that still depends on what kind of people those family are.
TrueCrazyLion
TrueCrazyLion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum