The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PTSD and Warshock...

+5
Marilyn7
Monk (in hiding)
Rogue
Nami4444
Rockhopper
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

PTSD and Warshock... Empty PTSD and Warshock...

Post by Rockhopper Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:10 am

A good video of what happens to soldiers in a war.

I can relate to this although I only watched a few minutes of it as it brought back too many bad memories of Vietnam.

http://vimeo.com/60896514 It's about 1 hour long.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

PTSD and Warshock... Empty Re: PTSD and Warshock...

Post by Nami4444 Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:05 am

I really want to watch this but my empathic overwhelm has only just crawled out from under the blankets...

War and the human plight within and part of it always interests me...

So tomorrow I will take a look..
Nami4444
Nami4444

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:08 am

I know I'm going to struggle to watch this. I've met a number of people with PTSD from growing up in wartorn countries. No person deserves that.
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:21 am

Rockhopper wrote:A good video of what happens to soldiers in a war.

I can relate to this although I only watched a few minutes of it as it brought back too many bad memories of Vietnam.

Tim.

So rock, you have PTSD?

Know a 64 year old that has it real bad.

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:15 am

vision-master wrote:
Rockhopper wrote:A good video of what happens to soldiers in a war.

Tim.

So rock, you have PTSD?

Know a 64 year old that has it real bad.

Yep!

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Marilyn7 Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:07 pm

I'm so glad you posted this and I'm forwarding it to a friend .
Marilyn7
Marilyn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:13 pm

I'd watch it first, to make sure... Smile
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Marilyn7 Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:43 pm

Ok can do .... Thanks K Smile
Marilyn7
Marilyn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Marilyn7 Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:47 am

Ok ..now how do you help someone who has it ?
Marilyn7
Marilyn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Evee Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:42 pm

My brother has been to Iraq and Afghanistan. i feel so bad for him because he tries to play it off like its no big deal but I notice when he jumps at every loud noise and all that...

I really don't know what to do to help him either tbh. He tries so hard to hide it but he was clearly affected by whatever kind of stuff happened there.
Evee
Evee

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:55 am

They need deep psychological help and support sometimes for many years. There is not much that family can do but love and support them.

It was the nightmares that got me to the point that I couldn't sleep, reliving the incidents over and over. I had a good Psychologist to help me work through it.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordae Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:27 am

Marilyn7 wrote:Ok ..now how do you help someone who has it ?  

There's a site called reset.me that looks at using psychedelics as part of the recovery process for PTSD, as well as other mental trauma.

In this revolutionary study examining the efficacy of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy vs. PTSD, 20 patients with chronic, treatment-resistant PTSD were either given MDMA and psychotherapy or a placebo and psychotherapy.
The results are nothing short of a miracle: 83% of subjects given MDMA and psychotherapy were cured of their PTSD symptoms compared to 25% of subjects who received psychotherapy alone.
The study also found:
There were no drug-related serious adverse events, adverse neurocognitive effects or clinically significant blood pressure increases. MDMA-assisted psychotherapy can be administered to posttraumatic stress disorder patients without evidence of harm, and it may be useful in patients refractory to other treatments.
Mordae
Mordae

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:56 am

Rockhopper wrote:They need deep psychological help and support sometimes for many years. There is not much that family can do but love and support them.

It was the nightmares that got me to the point that I couldn't sleep, reliving the incidents over and over. I had a good Psychologist to help me work through it.

Tim.

Fricken weed man, smoke the 'erb!

This review evaluates evidence on cannabis use in adults for the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS), which funded this report, to assist in assessing PTSD as a condition to add to those that qualify for the use of medical marijuana in Arizona.

http://www.azdhs.gov/medicalmarijuana/documents/debilitating/Debilitating-Conditions-PTSD.pdf

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:02 am

Rockhopper wrote:They need deep psychological help and support sometimes for many years. There is not much that family can do but love and support them.

Tim.
Psychologists/ psychiatrists did nothing for me other than put me on addictive drugs. I quit cold turkey and now only take some Ativan at night, rarely......

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:20 am

vision-master wrote:

This review evaluates evidence on cannabis use in adults for the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS), which funded this report, to assist in assessing PTSD as a condition to add to those that qualify for the use of medical marijuana in Arizona.

http://www.azdhs.gov/medicalmarijuana/documents/debilitating/Debilitating-Conditions-PTSD.pdf

One really must be careful with this however. I have friends with ptsd and smoking increased their paranoia which in turn increased their anxiety over the long term. I think it's a very personalized issue with no cookie cutter treatment. Most of all people with this issue need to be listened to and acknowledged... having fears and reactions validated in a compassionate way can go a long way to regaining the inner strength necessary to living with this condition. Sometimes being able to move from 'reacting' to 'thinking about the reaction' can help.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:25 am

Kaere wrote:
vision-master wrote:

One really must be careful with this however. I have friends with ptsd and smoking increased their paranoia which in turn increased their anxiety over the long term. I think it's a very personalized issue with no cookie cutter treatment. Most of all people with this issue need to be listened to and acknowledged... having fears and reactions validated in a compassionate way can go a long way to regaining the inner strength necessary to living with this condition. Sometimes being able to move from 'reacting' to 'thinking about the reaction' can help.

If they dealt with their issues, the paranoia would subside.

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:28 am

If they were able to deal with their issues, VM... they wouldn't need to toke, hey?
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:29 am

personal info. - not shared.

Last edited by vision-master on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:30 am

Kaere wrote:If they were able to deal with their issues, VM... they wouldn't need to toke, hey?

Need?

You are afraid of the 'erb. lsol

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:32 am

*rolls eyes* whatever VM...
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum