The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 to be the Third Hottest Year?

+5
Kaere
Stirky
Monk (in hiding)
Agartha
Rockhopper
9 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

2014 to be the Third Hottest Year? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2014 to be the Third Hottest Year?

Post by Agartha Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:07 pm

LOL!! So nothing.......... you asked if the weather has changed and I just stated what I've seen!!
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

2014 to be the Third Hottest Year? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2014 to be the Third Hottest Year?

Post by Monk (in hiding) Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:12 pm

Agartha wrote:LOL!! So nothing.......... you asked if the weather has changed and I just stated what I've seen!!

That's because it's weather.

Climate change is a significant time variation in weather patterns occurring over periods ranging from decades to millions of years.

(note how they cover their asses, millions of year and decades) lol

That would be like when the Sahara desert changed from fertile land into the present day desert.

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:19 pm

It just cycles, mother nature always works in cycles
Stirky
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Stirky wrote:It just cycles, mother nature always works in cycles

Yup! Wink

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:25 pm

The weather is changing here but I don't keep daily records. I have noticed that the winters are getting warmer and the summers getting hotter. There has been a steady decline in frosty mornings over the last few years and they are not as cold.

We usually get at least one snow dump in winter but it's been three years since we had any. All of this is weather not climate but.

It doesn't alter the fact that 97.75% of real Climatologists agree that the climate is changing. The few that don't are living in cuckoo land.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:28 pm

The climate is and has always changed.

This big old rock 3rd from the sun is not static just sitting in space.

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:54 pm

vision-master wrote:The climate is and has always changed.

So then... you would agree that climate change is real and happening? Right now Smile
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:05 pm

Kaere wrote:
vision-master wrote:The climate is and has always changed.

So then... you would agree that climate change is real and happening? Right now Smile

Sure it is, just like it's always done. Sometimes very abruptly and catastrophically I might add.

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:10 pm

Here's some food for thought! Things are not always what we believe them to be.

People where a lot shorter in them olden day's!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MEN FROM EARLY MIDDLE AGES WERE NEARLY AS TALL AS MODERN PEOPLE

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Northern European men living during the early Middle Ages were nearly as tall as their modern-day American descendants, a finding that defies conventional wisdom about progress in living standards during the last millennium.

"Men living during the early Middle Ages (the ninth to 11th centuries) were several centimeters taller than men who lived hundreds of years later, on the eve of the Industrial Revolution," said Richard Steckel, a professor of economics at Ohio State University and the author of a new study that looks at changes in average heights during the last millennium.

"Height is an indicator of overall health and economic well-being, and learning that people were so well-off 1,000 to 1,200 years ago was surprising," he said.

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/medimen.htm

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:40 am

"Height is an indicator of overall health and economic well-being, and learning that people were so well-off 1,000 to 1,200 years ago was surprising," he said

Oh!! One of my pet hates!!! And I know I take it personally because I am a very small woman (physically...lol) but I disagree:

I am short but I am more healthy and do better than many other people taller than me.

And what about all those short people that changed the world? Like Beethoven, Napoleon, Voltaire, Ghandi, Lenin, Charlie Chaplin........

Ok........ rant over.......... off to step on my stool to reach the top cabinet in the kitchen......
lol
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:53 am

One thing I have noticed is that those on the denial side like to 'Cherry-pick' the data. The full data is there if they really want to go and look for it.

That data shows a steady increase in temperature that parallels the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere.

There are four primary factors that, taken together, add up to a new and dramatic change in our climate that’s coming down the tracks at us like a run-away freight train.
First, Population. It took 10,000 plus years of human history to get half a billion of us on the planet, but only the most recent 400 years to gain 15 times that, or an added six and a half billion of us. Why? The industrial age and modern medicine.

Second, the discovery of oil in the 1860s (therefore none burned before that date.)

Third, the industrial Age with the discovery of electricity and the use of steam, diesel, and petrol engines. Over a very short period we began burning vast quantities of coal, oil, and natural gas, with carbon dioxide (CO2) as a primary byproduct.

Forth, a key characteristic of CO2: That it acts as a partial blanket for heat energy but not for sunlight. Essentially, sunlight comes through the atmosphere and warms the earth, but some of that warmth cannot pass back through the atmosphere because CO2 blocks it. Until now this has been good because it helps stabilize the Earth’s temperature and makes life as we know it possible.
So, as our modern industrialized world, driven by the needs of 7 billion of us, pumps unbelievable amounts of additional blanketing CO2 into our atmosphere, our Earth can’t do anything but warm up.

How does a warming Earth affect climate change?

Our Earth’s climate is a hugely complex system and complex systems can make radical changes with seemingly very little outside pressure. These are called “tipping points”. What do I mean? Let’s say your standing next to someone and they reach up and lightly push against your shoulder. You shift your weight slightly and nothing happens. But let’s say you are standing on top of a narrow fence post with nothing to hold on to and someone pushes you. Almost guaranteed you will fall off the post. Climates are like you on the fence post – subject to dramatic change with the smallest push.
So, in conclusion, it is my belief that only a small rise in temperature, thanks to our burning all these fossil fuels, may very well cause catastrophic change in our climate. So if we don’t do something soon, that run away freight train will get us.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordae Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:01 am

vision-master wrote:Show me how the climate has changed in your lifetime R in the land of Oz?

Hotter
Dryer
Cooler
More rain
???

I already have, when I told you that back in the 80's, summer temps for the North Island peaked at about 24 degrees C for the far north, that was considered a hot day. Now it's averaging in the low to mid 30's over summer.

Mordae
Mordae

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:27 am

Yep Mordman. Our summer temps were about 19C but now they are consistently in the mid/high 20's. An increase of about 6C.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:16 am

weather.

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:25 am

Agartha wrote:
"Height is an indicator of overall health and economic well-being, and learning that people were so well-off 1,000 to 1,200 years ago was surprising," he said

Oh!! One of my pet hates!!! And I know I take it personally because I am a very small woman (physically...lol) but I disagree:

I am short but I am more healthy and do better than many other people taller than me.

And what about all those short people that changed the world? Like Beethoven, Napoleon, Voltaire, Ghandi, Lenin, Charlie Chaplin........

Ok........ rant over.......... off to step on my stool to reach the top cabinet in the kitchen......
lol

Here's another zinger. lsol

It was in certain times for a woman to be rounder not necessarily overweight or morbidly obese. A big bottom, wide hips and thick trunk legs on a woman was a symbol of fertility, just look at paintings of women through time. They are flabby, pale, with dimples and cellulite. That doesn't mean they were unhealthy. The body of that time was ideal and people had different preference as to what was considered beautiful. Those same women would be fat by today's standard, but a very thin woman back then was seen as poor. She was viewed as not having money, class, status to eat

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:44 am

vision-master wrote:
Here's another zinger. lsol

It was in certain times for a woman to be rounder not necessarily overweight or morbidly obese. A big bottom, wide hips and thick trunk legs on a woman was a symbol of fertility, just look at paintings of women through time. They are flabby, pale, with dimples and cellulite. That doesn't mean they were unhealthy. The body of that time was ideal and people had different preference as to what was considered beautiful. Those same women would be fat by today's standard, but a very thin woman back then was seen as poor. She was viewed as not having money, class, status to eat

LOL! So true!!! And in some cultures overweight women are still seen as sexy....... in Africa, for example, they like women with hips and big bottoms, etc.......

Obesity is bad because it puts a strain on the body and it kills, but it's always a lot healthier to be 5kg over than 5kg under.

Nowadays fashion promote skinny women that are so flat they look like prepubescent boys....... that's not healthy.
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:06 pm

vision-master wrote:weather.

Go and learn the difference!

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:18 pm

belittling narcissist comments...

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:08 pm

Learned that from you VM!

Let me explain the difference between weather and climate all over again.

A cold snow dump in the northeast of the US is not climate, it's weather, simply because it is localised and doesn't happen everywhere at the same time.

Conversely a raise of temps in NZ is weather except that it is happening all over the southern hemisphere, Aust, South Africa South America, so it's hemisphere wide not LOCAL!
That my friend is the difference.

If you are genuinely interested in finding out what we know and how we came about the conclusions we have then read this. (PDF) It is a complete list of all the testing that has been done over the last 150 yrs in fine detail. It shows how the conclusions were made.

Instead of just doing a 'Copy and Paste' from fringe sites, actually do some study on the subject.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:35 pm

Signs of a narcissist.

•Virtually all of their ideas or ways of behaving in a given situation are taken from others, people they know and perhaps think of as an authority (mirroring).

•Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

•Arrogance is another defense mechanism that keeps the narcissist a legend in his own mind, free from the stain of the imperfection of other human beings. Remember, narcissists (and borderlines) split, seeing themselves and others in black and white.

Someone has to be on top, and someone has to be on the bottom. Being judgmental and power hungry staves off the stink of imperfection.

Got you nailed r, nailed to the t. lsol

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next