Yule is on the way :)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Yule is on the way :)

Post by Stirky on Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:59 pm

History of Yule

One of the Lesser Sabbats. This is the Winter Solstice, the shortest day and Longest night of the year. The Goddess gives birth to the God as the reborn sun, and in many traditions it is celebrated just before dawn to welcome his arrival. Candles and bonfires are frequently lit to welcome his arrival. The returning light completes the cycle of life, death and rebirth. In many Wiccan traditions, Yule symbolizes the end of the reign of the waning year's Holly-King, who is now replaced by the Oak-King of the waning year (who rules until Summer Solstice).
This Sabbat represents the rebirth of light. Here, on the longest night of the year, the Goddess gives birth to the Sun God and hope for new light is reborn. Yule is a time of awakening to new goals and leaving old regrets behind.
Yule coincides closely with the Christian Christmas celebration. Christmas was once a movable feast celebrated many different times during the year. The choice of December 25 was made by the Pope Julius I in the fourth century AD because this coincided with the pagan rituals of Winter Solstice, or Return of the Sun. The intent was to replace the pagan celebration with the Christian one.
The Christian tradition of a Christmas tree has its origins in the Pagan Yule celebration. Pagan families would bring a live tree into the home so the wood spirits would have a place to keep warm during the cold winter months. Bells were hung in the limbs so you could tell when a spirit was present. Food and treats were hung on the branches for the spirits to eat and a five-pointed star, the pentagram, symbol of the five elements, was placed atop the tree.
The colours of the season, red and green, also are of Pagan origin, as is the custom of exchanging gifts. A solar festival, The reindeer stag is also a reminder of the Horned God. You will find that many traditional Christmas decorations have some type of Pagan ancestry or significance that can be added to your Yule holiday.
Yule is celebrated by fire and the use of a Yule log. Many enjoy the practice of lighting the Yule Log. If you choose to burn one, select a proper log of oak or pine (never Elder). Carve or chalk upon it a figure of the Sun (a rayed disc) or the Horned God (a horned circle). Set it alight in the fireplace at dusk, on Yule. This is a graphic representation of the rebirth of the God within the sacred fire of the Mother Goddess. As the log burns, visualize the Sun shining within it and think of the coming warmer days. Traditionally, a portion of the Yule Log is saved to be used in lighting next year's log. This piece is kept throughout the year to protect the home.

Tools, Symbols & Decorations
Bayberry candles, evergreens, holly, mistletoe, poinsettia, mistletoe, lights, gifts, Yule log, Yule tree, spinning wheels, wreaths, bells, mother & child images

Colours
Gold, silver, red, green, white

Customs
Lights, gift-exchanging, singing, feasting, resolutions, new fires kindled, strengthening family & friend bonds, generosity, Yule log, hanging mistletoe, apple wassailing, burning candles, Yule tree decorating; kissing under mistletoe; need fire at dawn vigil; bell ringing/sleigh-bells; father yule

Animals/Mythical beings
Yule goat (nordic), reindeer stag, squirrels, Yule cat, Sacred White Buffalo, Kallikantzaroi-ugly chaos monsters (greek), trolls, phoenix, Yule elf, Jule gnome, squirrels, wren/robin

Gemstones
Cat's eye, ruby, diamond, garnet, bloodstone

Herbs
Blessed thistle, evergreen, moss, oak, sage, bay, bayberry, cedar, pine, frankincense,
<p>ginger, holly, ivy, juniper, mistletoe, myrrh, pinecones, rosemary, chamomile,</p> cinnamon, valarion, yarrow

Incense/Oil
Bayberry, cedar, ginger, cinnamon, pine, rosemary, frankincense, myrrh, nutmeg,
wintergreen, saffron

Rituals/Magicks
Personal renewal, world peace, honouring family & friends, Festival of light, meditation

Foods
Nuts, apple, pear, caraway cakes soaked with cider, pork, orange, hibiscus or ginger tea,
roasted turkey, nuts, fruitcake, dried fruit, cookies, eggnog, mulled wine
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Yule is on the way :)

Post by Stirky on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:01 pm

Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:18 pm

Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:32 pm

What rules America now is 'BLACK FRIDAY'.

It's illegal to say 'Merry Christmas' one must say 'Happy Hoilday's'.

The World is getting sicker...

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha on Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:44 pm

I don't care what's allowed or what's not, I wish people what I want..... Merry Christmas!! Happy Yule!!

I love how ancient pagans festivities are not been seen as a sin like they used to be a few decades ago. My son Danny bakes and cooks at school and in the last session they are making a Yule log.... I love his teacher for calling it that! Very Happy
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:22 pm

@Agartha wrote:I don't care what's allowed or what's not, I wish people what I want..... Merry Christmas!! Happy Yule!!

I love how ancient pagans festivities are not been seen as a sin like they used to be a few decades ago. My son Danny bakes and cooks at school and in the last session they are making a Yule log.... I love his teacher for calling it that! Very Happy

Not in LaMerika. This Country has gone to the dogs and it's getting worse. How would you like being FORCED to pay $1,000 Month for health insurance for a family of three with a $,6,000 deductible. That's the NEW LaMerika.

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:36 pm

That's not new, is it? I remember somebody telling me about the incredible costs of health insurance a couple of years ago.

That's why I love it in Europe, where you still pay for health services with your taxes, but if you can't afford to do so the doctors and hospitals are still free. I don't mind paying taxes for those who cannot do so, as nobody knows what the future will bring and I may find myself on the other side one day... you just don't know.

Free education and free healthcare are the basis of democracy.
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:44 am

@Agartha wrote:Free education and free healthcare are the basis of democracy.

And safe warm affordable housing Ags!

One of my great memories was walking down Broadway, New York on Christmas Eve and it started snowing! Spectacular it was! Not so spectacular there right now though.

Yuletide is when we get all sun-burned on the beaches here!

Tim.
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:15 am

Hmmm, I noted the image Striks used, look what happens to be curled at the Goddess' feet and smiling?

America needed to get Universal healthcare, we need a lot of things, so I will wish for them for Yule!

Once they have tried scales, everything else pales! Twisted Evil
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:11 am

Yes Tim,  and affordable housing..... that one is lacking in Europe unfortunately.

I don't like Christmas in the Southern Hemisphere, to me it never felt like Christmas.... it has to be cold and if it snows even better.

Len, how can you get free universal healthcare when so many complain about it?
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:34 am

Our illustrious Govt. here is trying to get rid of all the State Houses that were built for ordinary working people. Running into a spot of bother over it but.

Like you Ags, I have spend Yuletide in both hemispheres and it really doesn't matter to me what the weather is like as long as friends and family are around.

Tim.
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:47 pm

Rock, for you Yule is in June, you will be celebrating Litha(summer solistice) on December 21st Very Happy So my thread was only aimed at the Northerners lol!

So yes Christmas in the Southern hemisphere isn't right, but if you are pagan you would celebrate the festivals at the right time of year Smile

Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:48 pm

Yes Len, I love the pic with the dragon Very Happy
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:06 pm

@Agartha wrote:Yes Tim,  and affordable housing..... that one is lacking in Europe unfortunately.

I don't like Christmas in the Southern Hemisphere, to me it never felt like Christmas.... it has to be cold and if it snows even better.

That the majority accepted this baby step aka Obamacare, shows that perhaps folks see the benefits of a better system, however for such to occur, along with affordable housing and other human rights, we also need to cease spending 3+trillion on our warmachine which is the big cause of the why there is the knee jerk reaction to cut things, and add the old taxes from before Reagan back so the wealthy are back to their fair share, that would be grand and allow us to afford many good things for the PEOPLE. Oh and toss the right wing nutters out of office too please. Some of my Yule wish lists

@Stirky wrote:Yes Len, I love the pic with the dragon Very Happy

He is such a cute little fellow! Wink

Once they have tried scales, everything else pales! Twisted Evil
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:17 pm

@Lenzabi wrote:
@Agartha wrote:Yes Tim,  and affordable housing..... that one is lacking in Europe unfortunately.

That the majority accepted this baby step aka Obamacare, shows that perhaps folks see the benefits of a better system, however for such to occur, along with affordable housing and other human rights, we also need to cease spending 3+trillion on our warmachine which is the big cause of the why there is the knee jerk reaction to cut things, and add the old taxes from before Reagan back so the wealthy are back to their fair share, that would be grand and allow us to afford many good things for the PEOPLE. Oh and toss the right wing nutters out of office too please. Some of my Yule wish lists

@Stirky wrote:Yes Len, I love the pic with the dragon Very Happy

He is such a cute little fellow! Wink

Right wing nutters are no different that the left wing nutters. Quit being played for a fool. Our two party system is a shell game played  by TPTB, people like you think we have a choice, not so.

Must I remind you THE UNTITED STATES is a private corporation.

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Getting back on topic Wink

Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:52 pm

Any written ancient texts on the Yule?

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:53 pm

See another dragon Len Wink
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Ω wrote:Any written ancient texts on the Yule?

Got to run out now, will post some stuff on Yule later for you Smile
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:09 pm

cool...

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content