Just wondering

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Just wondering

Post by Ken McClellan on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:33 pm

Anyone ever seen a family tree of the world's religions that was worth a damn?
Ken McClellan

http://kenmcclellan.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Just wondering

Post by Rockhopper on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:16 am

It's discussed in depth Here.

Tim.
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken McClellan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:39 am

Thank you for the link.
Ken McClellan

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:30 am

@Ken McClellan wrote:Anyone ever seen a family tree of the world's religions that was worth a damn?

How would you evaluate it? What would you compare it to?

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken McClellan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:09 am

All religions seem to start at a Creation. And that chapter of human existence appears to be a given, in that the tales of catastrophe appear very similar. So, like Sitchin, I'd probably start there and see whether the Indian or the Sumerian/Syriac culture appeared to have the best explanation of what happened. From there, it would be a case of figuring out who owned the tale and who wrote the derivative episodes ... and at what point they took a turn to make their religion their own. So, for example, you find the Genesis derived from earlier myths. And you find Christian and Moslem derivatives from there. And branches and twigs from there. In truth, I'm not looking for anything definitive, just a connection between the evolution of doctrine and the genealogy of the gods.
Ken McClellan

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha on Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:05 am

But what if the myths were just that, myths? Pure fantasy.

A while ago I did read about the Babilonians, because of a thread here..... and this is what I learned: Gods were created from water and earth (mud), the gods fought each other and they fought their leaders (?? leaders of gods??), from the blood of one god men were created, the gods then had 'illegal' sex with men and.... here we are.

Religious leaders tell us not to take the Torah and Bible literally and that the Genesis myths may not have been completely factually true, but were allegories to guide us to salvation. And when I had criticized disgusting parts in the book, such as Lot and his daughters, I was told that I should not take it literally, but to see the message behind the story.

Then the worldwide flood cannot be taken literally, just like the rest of the stories.
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:14 am

@Ken McClellan wrote:All religions seem to start at a Creation.  And that chapter of human existence appears to be a given, in that the tales of catastrophe appear very similar.  So, like Sitchin, I'd probably start there and see whether the Indian or the Sumerian/Syriac culture appeared to have the best explanation of what happened.  From there, it would be a case of figuring out who owned the tale and who wrote the derivative episodes ... and at what point they took a turn to make their religion their own.  So, for example, you find the Genesis derived from earlier myths.  And you find Christian and Moslem derivatives from there.  And branches and twigs from there.  In truth, I'm not looking for anything definitive, just a connection between the evolution of doctrine and the genealogy of the gods.

The common consensus here is religious talk/ talk of gods is not tolerated. It's all fairy tales...

I give up.

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:42 am

Ω wrote:
The common consensus here is religious talk/ talk of gods is not tolerated. It's all fairy tales...

I give up.

When has anybody here said that the talk of gods is not tolerated?
Nobody, we all just give our personal thoughts and ideas.
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:49 am

Not going to argue the point. Wink

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken McClellan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:56 am

Generally, I find youth favoring dogma and consensus. And the older one gets, the more cynical one becomes about the value of that dogma or consensus. And if one gets old enough, the dogma shorthand can be seen as having had some value in terms of societal stability or ancient mysteries worth plumbing. As I said, I'm not real good at coloring between the lines. If I ever had it, I may be losing it! And if I lost it, maybe I'll find it again!
Ken McClellan

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:45 am

Namuci

"O you are thin and you are pale,
And you are in death's presence too;
A thousand parts are pledged to death,
But life still holds one part of you.
Live, Sir! Life is the better way;
You can gain merit if you live,
Come, live the Holy Life and pour
Libations on the holy fires,
And thus a world of merit gain.
What can you do by struggling now?
The path of struggling too is rough
And difficult and hard to bear."[12]

Buddha

"Your first squadron is Sense-Desires,
Your second is called Boredom, then
Hunger and Thirst compose the third,
And Craving is the fourth in rank,
The fifth is Sloth and Torpor
While Cowardice lines up as sixth,
Uncertainty is seventh, the eighth
Is Malice paired with Obstinacy;
Gain, Honor and Renown, besides,
And ill-won Notoriety,
Self-praise and Denigrating Others:
These are your squadrons, Namuci."[14]

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/guruge/wheel419.html

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:15 am

I have become more cynical and I am becoming more and more skeptical as I get older... I just don't see the evidence for all the 'magic' I believed in when I was a child.

But when the evidence has shown, then it made me believe, like the existence of a soul and that special connection we have with each other..... cause I have witnessed that first hand.

Have I lost my faith? not entirely, I have only lost my faith in a God I don't really like much anymore, for various reasons but mainly for guiding men to oppress women.

But I have not lost my faith in us, in the collective beauty of humankind.
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken McClellan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:48 am

the 'magic' I believed in when I was a child.

It was technology/physics by another name. We haven't seen it in thousands of years, but we and the planet are about to get our batteries recharged if we can survive. The golden interstellar cloud at the edge of our solar system was a sign. People getting shocks near the stone circles was a sign. Airports having to change their coordinates was a sign. Sol's dimmer switch back in about 2005 was a sign. The uptick in NEO asteroids and fireballs was a sign. The return of the Aquarian Sun and the Grand Phoenix of 2010 was a sign. The return of the Virgin bearing Saturn with the Moon at her feet was a sign (See Virgil's Pastoral IV or Rev. 12) ... and happened just three days ago! The world is spinning back to the Golden Age, but our trials and tribulations have just begun the transition.
Ken McClellan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken McClellan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:04 am

Not sure if I just sent you a PM or two. Will get used to the new format someday.
Ken McClellan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:05 pm

Glad to see so many posts by Ken!

I have seen something interesting, it may be that this shell is simply here to act as a vessel for learning, interacting and understanding. My immortal shell, as I traveled OoB was in a crystal cocoon, hibernating, so I now wonder which will take place first, Golden age arrives and I am transformed? or this shell dies so that my spirit may head back to the sleeping for waiting out there to wake up again? I see it as the race of different paths for me.

Not sure how many other beings will stop the "human experience" and show as well? It will be interesting. I prefer the spirituality, hold the Dogma please.

Once they have tried scales, everything else pales! Twisted Evil
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken McClellan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:08 pm

Reminds me of a dream. I was walking inside or outside a mountain (it was damn dark) along a fairly steep path in a hurry. Passed a few lost souls along the way who, I figured, wouldn't know what to do when they got to the stargate. But at the top of the path was a choice marked by two huge statues. And the choice was toward which constellation/star system/planet we were heading. See you in the Einstein–Rosen bridge!
Ken McClellan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:14 pm

@Ken McClellan wrote:Reminds me of a dream.  I was walking inside or outside a mountain (it was damn dark) along a fairly steep path in a hurry.  Passed a few lost souls along the way who, I figured, wouldn't know what to do when they got to the stargate.  But at the top of the path was a choice marked by two huge statues.  And the choice was toward which constellation/star system/planet we were heading.  See you in the Einstein–Rosen bridge!

Interesting! do you recall the statues?

Many of the people running about like that will be clueless yes.

Once they have tried scales, everything else pales! Twisted Evil
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken McClellan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:24 pm

One was an Eagle. I imagine the other was a Dragon. It hadn't yet come into view. I just knew it was there.
Ken McClellan

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:32 pm

@Agartha wrote:I have become more cynical and I am becoming more and more skeptical as I get older... I just don't see the evidence for all the 'magic' I believed in when I was a child.

But when the evidence has shown, then it made me believe, like the existence of a soul and that special connection we have with each other..... cause I have witnessed that first hand.

Have I lost my faith? not entirely, I have only lost my faith in a God I don't really like much anymore, for various reasons but mainly for guiding men to oppress women.

But I have not lost my faith in us, in the collective beauty of humankind.

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:35 pm

@Ken McClellan wrote:One was an Eagle.  I imagine the other was a Dragon.  It hadn't yet come into view.  I just knew it was there.

I have witnessed the healing of both the Dragon (serpent/ spiral) and the Eagle. The Eagle is one of my spirit guides.

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next