The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Totten Glacier Melting Fast...

3 posters

Go down

Totten Glacier Melting Fast... Empty Totten Glacier Melting Fast...

Post by Rockhopper Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:40 am

The Totten Glacier is the second largest glacier in the world and it's melting rapidly. If it should dump all it's ice into the sea it will raise sea level by 3.5M (11').

Totten Glacier Melting Fast... Earth20150316c_zpseqposs6t

UTexas-NASA Study Sees New Threat to East Antarctic Ice
Totten Glacier Location
East Antarctic CoastlineLandscape Beneath Totten Glacier
The Totten Glacier Catchment (outlined in blue) is a collection basin for ice and snow that flows into the ocean through Totten Glacier alone. The catchment is estimated to contain enough frozen water to raise global sea level by at least 11 feet (3.3 meters). Image credit: Australian Antarctic Division
› Larger image
Researchers at the University of Texas at Austin, NASA and other research organizations have discovered two seafloor troughs that could allow warm ocean water to reach the base of Totten Glacier, East Antarctica's largest and most rapidly thinning glacier. The discovery likely explains the glacier's extreme thinning and raises concern about its impact on sea level rise.

The result, published in the journal Nature Geoscience today, March 16, has global implications because the ice flowing through Totten Glacier alone is equivalent to the entire volume of the more widely studied West Antarctic Ice Sheet. If Totten Glacier were to collapse completely, global sea levels would rise by at least 11 feet (3.3 meters). As in the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, complete collapse of Totten Glacier may take centuries, although the timing of retreat in both places is the subject of intensive research.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4511

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Totten Glacier Melting Fast... Empty Re: Totten Glacier Melting Fast...

Post by Monk (in hiding) Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:32 pm

Look at the size of that Glacier, if it dumped all it's ice, sea levels would rise 11' world-wide.

The total volume of ice in the Antarctic Ice Sheet today is 27 million km3, which is equivalent to 58 m of global sea level (i.e., if all the ice in Antarctica melted, sea levels would rise by 58 metres).

Now look at the size of that glacier, it can't be more than 500th the size of the Antarctic Ice Sheet. And it's being said this could cause seas levels to rise 3.5 m........?

That little tiny red dot would have to dump 16% of the total Antarctic Ice Sheets volume in order to raise sea levels 3.5 m

Mass and volume units for water and ice

One gigatonne is one billion metric tonnes  ( 1 Gt = 1 x 109 tonnes)

One metric tonne is 1000 kilograms (1 tonne = 1000 kg)

One metric tonne of water has a volume of one cubic meter (1 tonne water ≡ 1 m³)

One gagatonne of water has a volume of one billion cubic meters, or one cubic kilomter.(1 Gt water ≡ 1 km³)Of course, one gigatonne of ice has a greater volume than one gigatonne of water.  But it will still have a volume of 1 km³ when it melts.

*******************************************************************************************

How much does one Gigatonne of melted ice (1 km³ of water) raise the oceans?

The oceans occupy 361 million square kilometers ( 361 x 106  km²) of the Earth’s surface.

If one cubic kilometer of water (i.e., one gigatonne of water) is spread evenly over the entire 361 million square kilomters, the thickness of the new layer of water will be given by:

1 km³ / 361 x 106 km²  = 2.78 x 10-6 meters  = 2.78 microns.

Or, in terms of gigatonnes:

1 Gt  x  (1 km³/Gt)  / 361 x 106 km²  = 2.78 x 10-6 meters  = 2.78 microns / Gt

That is, one cubic kilometer of water (i.e., one gigatonne of water) will add less than 3 millionths of a meter to the oceans!

https://climatesanity.wordpress.com/conversion-factors-for-ice-and-water-mass-and-volume/

Totten Glacier Melting Fast... 251552E400000578-2926354-image-a-31_1422281876786

Totten Glacier Melting Fast... BS_Flag

Use your Google or whatever search engine you want, all searched are filtered BULL SHIT!

SHOW ME THE ACTUAL SIZE/ VOLUME OF THIS GLACIER!

Totten Glacier Melting Fast... If

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:44 pm

This Colin Sullivan?

Colin Sullivan PhD, BSc (Med), MB, FRACP is an Australian physician, professor,[1] and inventor known for his invention of the Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine in June 1980.

Sullivan’s development of CPAP was a product of his long-term interest in the upper respiratory airway and its role in SIDS (aka crib death or cot death).[2] Prior to the invention of the CPAP machine sleep apnea was often treated with radical measures such as tracheotomy.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Sullivan_%28physician%29

He's a doctor not a mathematician and even I can see some flaws in his calculations and Math is not my best subject! I will leave it to you to discover what those flaws are.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:26 pm

That post is MINE, the math thingy is shown in the link, otherwise, think about it, see that little red dot in Antarctica, your saying if it melted the seas world-wide would rise by 3.5m. I look at this and say, horse shit. Impossible.

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:23 pm

Size is relative. Again go and read to link you posted and find out the flaws in those calculations you based you post on. So if the calculations are flawed then you post is also flawed unless you correct them.

As I pointed out Colin Sullivan is medical Doctor not a Climatologist and he's not a Mathematician, if he was he would see the flaws in his own calculations.

Totten Glacier is the second largest glacier in the world and it's catchment area is larger than Texas and Oklahoma combined. That is a bloody big area.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:37 pm

Well he did post his own thoughts mixed in for once. Of course it i not just the outline of the glacier to consider, but it's depth as well, many older glaciers down in the Antarctic are quite thick!
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:40 am

Indeed he did Len. My only criticism is that he used flawed data to base it on. I want to see how he finds those flaws and corrects his postulation.

Yep those glaciers are very thick and cover a large area. Few people realise just how bloody big Antarctica really is. The continent is just a little short of the same size as North America including Canada and half of Mexico. That's a big chunk of real estate.

Colin Sullivan is another Contrarian who cherry-picks his data, so I purposely look through it thoroughly to see if it is correct.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:16 am

Rockhopper wrote:Indeed he did Len. My only criticism is that he used flawed data to base it on. I want to see how he finds those flaws and corrects his postulation.

Yep those glaciers are very thick and cover a large area. Few people realise just how bloody big Antarctica really is. The continent is just a little short of the same size as North America including Canada and half of Mexico. That's a big chunk of real estate.

Colin Sullivan is another Contrarian who cherry-picks his data, so I purposely look through it thoroughly to see if it is correct.

Tim.

Yeah, and also that water is puffed up when frozen, hence the floating, so there is a very large amount of water when it re-densifies back to liquid.
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:38 am

Rockhopper wrote:Size is relative. Again go and read to link you posted and find out the flaws in those calculations you based you post on. So if the calculations are flawed then you post is also flawed unless you correct them.

As I pointed out Colin Sullivan is medical Doctor not a Climatologist and he's not a Mathematician, if he was he would see the flaws in his own calculations.

Totten Glacier is the second largest glacier in the world and it's catchment area is larger than Texas and Oklahoma combined. That is a bloody big area.

Tim.

Show me the volume of this Glacier, not the catchment area. The amount of water that would be released if she melted.

This is where you 'believers' FAIL, what does the catchment area have to do with anything. We are talking about global sea rise! And your saying it would be 3.5m on a global scale!

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:41 am

Lenzabi wrote:
Rockhopper wrote:Indeed he did Len. My only criticism is that he used flawed data to base it on. I want to see how he finds those flaws and corrects his postulation.

Tim.

Yeah, and also that water is puffed up when frozen, hence the floating, so there is a very large amount of water when it re-densifies back to liquid.

Again, we need it's volume!

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:21 pm

I am not saying that at all, the site does and when one goes though the Math you can see why. Colin Sullivan worked his math on flawed data and so his result is flawed.

Len has picked up on one of the flaws but there is still another. When all of the factors are worked in the figure (+3m) is not unreasonable.

If you check up on Hydrology you will see that the Catchment is part of the hydrological system and measures it as a whole.

Site says:

The Totten Glacier Catchment (outlined in blue) is a collection basin for ice and snow that flows into the ocean through Totten Glacier alone. The catchment is estimated to contain enough frozen water to raise global sea level by at least 11 feet (3.3 meters).

It comes down to who do you believe; a group who have done the math based in real info or some-one who has no real training in the issue?

I tend to believe those who have the relevant qualifications not some backyard "expert".

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:42 pm

Show me the volume of ice that could melt. How hard is that?

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:56 pm

If you think that they have made an error then take it up with the site: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4511

Show them where they have made the error so they can correct it.

Colin Sullivan's math is correct except that he has omitted two very important factors that should have been included in his calculations. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say that it was a crime on omission rather than a deliberate action to distort the findings. But with his background of being a Denier I have my doubts that it was just an error of omission.

Len has pointed out one but there is another one as well. All of which was factored into the equations done by the authors of the study at http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4511

If you really wish to find out all the relevant info check the references on the page and keep an open mind.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:23 pm

Well, South Florida, a state which the governor says "Climate Change" may not be spoken by state employees, is feeling the results of the sea rises

Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:04 pm

It is Len. Every time there is a spring tide the streets go under water now due to the rise in sea level. It's going to get much worse. But the mindset won't change until Manhattenites have to swim to work!

The other part of the equation that YOMN missed is Thermal Expansion. When water warms it expands (increases in volume). Further when ice is packed over a long period of time it gets compressed too (solids can be compressed - liquids can't). When it melts it returns to it's original volume again.

Much of the rise we are now seeing is due to heat.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:06 pm

The sea water is now also in the Florida aquifer, so their wells are now salty besides the tides flooding streets. Video covers why a sea wall like Holland will not work, as well as how bad it will be come 2045/50
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:04 pm

Yeah Len Florida is built like a big sponge. Porous limestone.

Miami isn't the only one either, several other south Florida towns and cities are getting feet wet and salty!

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum