The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Milk protein lowers blood pressure and cholesterol

4 posters

Go down

Milk protein lowers blood pressure and cholesterol Empty Milk protein lowers blood pressure and cholesterol

Post by Agartha Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:36 pm

A recent study (October 2016) has shown milk protein can help reduce the risk factors of heart disease and stroke by significantly lowering blood pressure and cholesterol. The University of Reading and University of Milan have found that the risk is reduced by 8% and that those ingesting large amounts of whey protein had healthier blood vessels.

Participants in the study drank 56g of whey protein daily, whilst the control group drank maltodrextin. The results showed a positive effect on markers of cardiovascular health:

- A reduction in blood pressure (average 3.9mmHg lower)
- A reduction in cholesterol (5% less)
- And a 12% reduction of triaclyglycerol (blood fat that increases risk of cardiovascular disease).

The participants drank a 90% whey protein shake twice a day (very popular with bodybuilders) which gave them 56g of milk protein daily.

I think this is great news for dairy lovers; previous studies have already shown that people who drink more milk are usually healthier, but now we have a study that shows milk proteins specifically reduce blood pressure.

More research is needed to further understand the positive impact of milk in our diets, especially as the sample size was small (38 people in the protein group).

The study has been published freely to the public and can be found here:

Whey protein lowers blood pressure and improves endothelial function and lipid biomarkers in adults with prehypertension and mild hypertension: results from the chronic Whey2Go randomized controlled trial
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Milk protein lowers blood pressure and cholesterol Empty Re: Milk protein lowers blood pressure and cholesterol

Post by Rockhopper Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:16 am

I knew that! That's why I look like Mr. Universe (in my dreams!).

I drink a lot of milk.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Milk protein lowers blood pressure and cholesterol Empty Re: Milk protein lowers blood pressure and cholesterol

Post by Lenzabi Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:13 am

So, my body knew it needed more milk to balance out against my health issues, less milk(just a bowl of cereal), and things got wilder. Back to milk intake.
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:31 pm

Yeah, guys, milk is good! If you want to ingest lots of whey protein I recommend eating ricotta cheese, it's got the highest amount of protein of all dairy products.

Of course the sample size is small, but the fact that all 38 participants had lower BP and lower cholesterol shows there really is something to it.

Tim and Len: I share your love for milk! lol
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:44 am

Apparently we milk lovers are all closely related via a small group of 6 people in northwest Iran 4000 years ago. All the rest of adult humans were incapable of digesting milk at the time. They lacked an important enzyme needed to digest the milk solids.

Eventually the ability to do so spread throughout Europe and further into the world. So you see; we are extra special!

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:08 pm

I also calm down easier from ingestion of the calcium casseinate in milk
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:28 am

That's very interesting, Tim! I remember reading that even now only 35% of the world can tolerate milk.

We are extra special indeed! lol

Len, I also find that milk has a nice soothing effect.... especially if warm and with a tiny drop of honey.
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Solace Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:01 am

Very interesting share Aggie!
Solace
Solace

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:48 am

Thank you, girl. So many people demonize milk when it has actually helped people survive when food was scarce. So, as a big fan of the white stuff, I had to share. lol

santa
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Solace Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:51 am

Glad you did and will be passing this info on to family members! (a dear Aunt of mine has recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure so i appreciate this info xx)
Solace
Solace

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:08 am

Ricotta cheese is actually the best dairy with the highest milk protein content.

I don't know how old your auntie is but it's very common to become hypertensive when you are 65, even if you are fit and healthy.
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Solace Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:45 pm

She is 71 and was hospitalized a couple of weeks ago due to this(her condition was unknown prior) but good to know this is common at her age and she is getting it under control now, but this info will certainly help too.
Solace
Solace

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:48 pm

A small amount of nutmeg in hot milk is great for relaxing one's mind.

Not too much nutmeg but-- that has the opposite effect! I once tried a desert spoon full in hot milk and I saw things that no human should ever see! Shocked

Glad to hear that your aunt is better Solace.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Solace Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:54 pm

lol at the nutmeg experience and thank you Tim. Smile
Solace
Solace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum