The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Healthy Childhood

+3
Kaere
Agartha
Rogue
7 posters

Go down

Healthy Childhood Empty Healthy Childhood

Post by Rogue Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:43 pm

What we all knew or suspected..

Outdoor play on demise
JULY 11, 2014 11:43AM

A QUARTER of British children spend less than half-an-hour outdoors each day.

MORE than half of youngsters aged seven to 12 spend less than an hour a day outside, while almost nine in 10 children have never taken part in traditional outdoor activities such as playing conkers or building a raft, according to research by the National Trust.

The charity said it had launched a campaign to "connect the cotton wool generation with nature" by getting 200,000 children playing outside this (northern) summer.

According to a poll of 1,000 parents and grandparents, 54 per cent of children spend less than an hour outside each day, while one in four (25 per cent) seven to 12-year-olds are outdoors for less than 30 minutes a day.

This compares to parents who spent an average of two hours and 34 minutes outside each day in their youth, the survey found.

More than half of grandparents (53 per cent) spent more than three hours a day playing outside when they were aged seven to 12, compared to six per cent of children today.

Despite this, 85 per cent of those surveyed said playing outside was one of their greatest childhood memories, according to the poll conducted by Fly Research.

A second survey of almost 7,000 children aged seven to 12 found 92 per cent had never built a raft and 87 per cent had never played conkers.

Some 89 per cent had not used a map or compass and 85 per cent had not dammed a stream or explored a cave, research by the National Trust's Insights team found.

The charity's campaign,"50 things to do before you are 11-and-three-quarters", is staging more than 1,000 activities and events over the school holidays to encourage families to experience nature.
http://www.news.com.au/world/breaking-news/outdoor-play-on-demise/story-e6frfkui-1226985466375
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Healthy Childhood Empty Re: Healthy Childhood

Post by Agartha Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:19 am

Oh gosh I agree!! But it's about the parents! I understand parents being scared of letting their young children  out alone, then you take them to the park!  Kids need to get dirty, need to play in the grass, need to ride a bycicle, need to run and be silly.......
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:45 am

Yes, a bit of dirt is good for the system as we grow up!
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:55 am

~whistles at your avvie!~

Who are you meant to be???

Back to the OP: it has been proven that children that grow up in farms have less allergies than city kids.
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:05 am

I know, right? lol...

I believe it about the allergies.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:16 am

Blame the Full Moon...

I do think kids are wrapped in cotton wool alot these days, growing up on a farm you had your real rough and tumble, you got flithy, you got strong, your body system was strong and at one with the earth.

Nowadays we spent so many $$$ on so many cleaning things, our homes and lives are more and more sterilized. Its like we really are heading to those sci-fi times of white onesies, and shiny metal environs.
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by X Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:33 am

Keep the corporations profitable at all costs...see,..it makes our lives easier right

X

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:39 am

it makes our lives easier right

mmm...but we now 'have' to spend so much more time cleaning, spraying and scrubbing and soaking and disinfecting...
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by X Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:40 am

exactly...money means more of everything..we think we have it better...but..its not true

we have less time

X

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:42 am

Yes true!! ..and unhealthier probably, certainly more stressful.
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordae Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:51 pm

Rogue wrote:
it makes our lives easier right

mmm...but we now 'have' to spend so much more time cleaning, spraying and scrubbing and soaking and disinfecting...

Your right there. We have a mate who's little girl has chronic ecemza, and mum is a clean freak. The girl had to spend the holidays with us...and spent the next two weeks playing with the rats, ferret, cats, rabbits etc. By the end of it, her skin was better than it'd been in years.
Mordae
Mordae

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:20 pm

Doesn't apply to my kids lol, you should've seen the state of them after this past weekend Wink The water was brown coming off them when I threw them in the shower. Lol!! It does them good to play outdoors, mine have been lucky to always have had that freedom, having horses when they were little and out with the dogs all the time, as well as playing out on their bikes. But I understand why parents worry, it's a scary world out there!! But still there are ways to get them out there enjoying themselves Smile
Stirky
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:24 pm

Let your children play

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content