The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Salting your food can kill you.

3 posters

Go down

Salting your food can kill you.  Empty Salting your food can kill you.

Post by Agartha Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:10 am

To sum up the study: more than half a million people were followed for more than 9 years. Of those, almost 18,000 died prematurely. What did they have in common? Too much salt intake. The study actually showed adding salt to cooked food is really bad. Some patients did eat too much salt but because they also ate lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, they were protected from harm (probably because of the high content of potassium in fresh fruits/veg). 

If you want to read the original study: https://academic.oup.com/eurheartj/advance-article/doi/10.1093/eurheartj/ehac208/6623278?login=false

Don't pass the salt — seriously.

Doctors from the US and Switzerland published research in the European Heart Journal earlier today that found people who add salt to their food after it's already been cooked are more likely to die a premature death. More than 500,000 participants in the UK filled out a food habits questionnaire and were asked if they added extra salt to their food. Over a median of nine years' worth of follow up, scientists said they documented 18, 474 premature deaths.

Study authors wrote that the more frequently you add salt to your food, the higher the risk of premature mortality and lower life expectancy. In fact, people who always break out the shaker had a 28 percent increased risk of dying prematurely.
"To my knowledge, our study is the first to assess the relation between adding salt to foods and premature death," Professor Lu Qi of Tulane University said in a press statement. "Even a modest reduction in sodium intake, by adding less or no salt to food at the table, is likely to result in substantial health benefits."
If you do crave salty foods though, there's a bit of good news. Because fruits and vegetables are full of potassium, they can help offset the dangers of high salt intake. Study results show the benefits weren't statistically significant, but Qi said in the release that fruits and veggies have protective benefits that can reduce the chances of premature death.
Qi said more study is needed to better understand our food habits and how they affect our bodies, so it's possible there's some hope, somewhere, that the saltiest among us will find a solution.

https://futurism.com/neoscope/salt-food-premature-death-health?utm_campaign=trueanthem_AI&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=futurism&fbclid=IwAR1QDANNZgaLXFyNbSaN1S5-MBHNVyP-qUkROkb3Ko_TJIWdUI_1JIOm6iQ

Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Salting your food can kill you.  Empty Re: Salting your food can kill you.

Post by Rogue Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:28 am

Interesting! I don't add much salt, and I also eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. I do prefer savoury to sweet though.
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:19 pm

I grew cooking without salt because of my dad and I got used to it, I barely add salt to my food. But this is also one of the reasons I struggle with takeaways and restaurants, I find everything too salty. 

Study after study there is one thing in common: fresh fruits and vegetables make a massive difference to our life expectancy.
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueCrazyLion Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:48 pm

Too much salt will kill you, just as sure as none at all!
It’ll drain the power that’s in you, make you bleed and scream and crawl!
And the pain will make you crazy! You’re the victim of your crime!
Too much salt will kill you, everytime! 
TrueCrazyLion
TrueCrazyLion

Agartha likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueCrazyLion Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:54 pm

On a serious note, that’s a very interesting article Aggie, and it makes a lot of sense.

I can remember a feature which was done for a lifestyle documentary which I watched a few years ago, think it was on BBC Three; to demonstrate how harmful excessive salt exposure is to internal organs, one scientist had a pig’s heart which he put in a tub full of salt and then left overnight; the next morning he removed the heart from the tub, and the salt had turned it as solid as a brick. That image and thought has stayed with me over time. :-/
TrueCrazyLion
TrueCrazyLion

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:42 pm

Oh I'd like to watch that program!!

People don't realize how much salt there is in food they buy... I think salt can be as addictive as sugar.
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

TrueCrazyLion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down