The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Use by expiration dates

4 posters

Go down

Use by expiration dates Empty Use by expiration dates

Post by Rogue Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:11 am

Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Use by expiration dates Empty Re: Use by expiration dates

Post by Agartha Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:22 pm

Very interesting and I agree with the author. I follow the 'use by dates' at my own discretion.

Fresh fruit and veg I never followed it, I just use my eyes, fingers and nose to decide when they've gone off (I grew up eating food that didn't come in a package ).

Eggs I always check if they are fresh with a bowl of water (regardless of the date on the box). 

Chicken and meat are different, I may go 2 or 3 days over the date on the box/bag, but I always check and smell before cooking it (chicken that's gone off is very easy to identify, as it has a yucky slimy texture).

What do you guys do?
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:32 pm

Very much the same as you Ags. Chicken I am very careful with, even after its cooked. I find milk and dairy can last up to several days past its date. 

I tend to freeze my meat rather than fresh each day. I take advantage of better prices. That means the date goes out the window, however I still try to use the oldest first.
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:11 pm

About the same here. Always laugh when there's expiry dates on salt lol
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:14 am

Same K! I also laugh at expiration dates on certain sugar packets and honey jars!!
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueCrazyLion Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:30 am

My packets of face masks have expiry dates on them, which I think is the funniest thing ever. Very Happy
I really don’t get how a face mask is going to go off!  Use by expiration dates 1f602

Here’s a photo of the packets of masks which I’ve been buying online from Asda:

Use by expiration dates Ccb5ec10

They expired on May 20th, so I apparently shouldn’t be wearing them! But I am pretty crazy, so I’ll take the risk! LOL  Use by expiration dates 1f602  Use by expiration dates 1f602  Use by expiration dates 1f602  Use by expiration dates 1f602  Use by expiration dates 1f602 

Seriously, so glad Asda have continued selling them after that date; observing expiry dates on something like this would be bonkers.

Since Aggie works in a medical environment maybe she knows why these masks are given expiry dates. But I think it’s hilarious. Razz
TrueCrazyLion
TrueCrazyLion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:56 am

It's because it's a place that bacteria can grow, Lion. Not  to make you nervous but yes with 'wet' cosmetics, you should be careful. Lotions and potions dont last forever. Some ingredients can change over time as well... stronger or weaker, just like medications.

I think that one is probably fine cause it wasn't that long ago. Give it a good look over and smell before you use it.
Kaere
Kaere

TrueCrazyLion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueCrazyLion Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:13 am

Wow… I thought it was a sterile enough environment to be free of bacteria? Wow!

That does surprise me a bit - probably because I’d always associated expiry dates with edible items(And as you pointed out yourself above, even some food items don’t need expiry dates on them).
So I was thinking, based on that logic, “WTF is there to go off in a mask?” LOL Razz

But yes, you’re right: obviously you’ll be breathing in whatever is in the material of the mask and then some, as it’s right up against your nose etc.

Wow! Thanks for pointing that part out K, I massively overlooked it.

And a few weeks ago I had a packet of masks delivered which was burst, but after leaving it in a cupboard for a week or so I just used them as normal anyway as I saw nothing wrong with it… Oops! Shocked

Clearly I was lucky that time, as I’ve been fine in the month or so since.

And me having a massive fear of bacteria and other pathogens too, that’s ironic of me! Razz 

I’ll definitely do those things you say from now on!
TrueCrazyLion
TrueCrazyLion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:36 am

Evidently the elastic straps can slowly degrade and do not fit the face so well over time.
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:15 am

Oh!  My mistake, I've never seen masks in a package like that. Ours come in boxes.

I thought it was a cosmetic face mask, they cover your whole face, as in skin care.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueCrazyLion Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:01 pm

Interesting to see everyone’s different interpretations and opinions! Smile I think you’ve both made good points.

And K, I think you’ve still got a point, as these face masks I wear are probably still made out of material which might degrade over time and support the growth of microorganisms after the 2-year shelf life, a bit like antibiotics and other tablets for example. So it was a good observation!
TrueCrazyLion
TrueCrazyLion

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:05 pm

Rogue is correct: the elastic band and other parts do degrade. I think the shelf life varies between 2 and 5 years depending on the mask. 

Kaere is correct too, whether they are protective or cosmetic face masks, they all have an expiry date  just like everything else for a health/medical purpose. Except Queen Elisabeth, nothing lasts forever.
LOL

Lion, wearing them won't probably cause any harm (especially as the expiry date is only May), but they may be less effective.
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum