The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How were you raised?

+4
Rinoa
Agartha
Stirky
Monk (in hiding)
8 posters

Go down

How were you raised? Empty How were you raised?

Post by Monk (in hiding) Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:55 am

I was raised in a Lutheran church (Gustavus Adolphus), mum was a member for over 60 years. Her best friend was a member for over 70 years. The service used to be in Swedish. The church brought people together.

How were you people raised (religious teachings)?

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

How were you raised? Empty Re: How were you raised?

Post by Stirky Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:59 am

There is a Lutheran church just round the corner from the house I used to live in before this one Smile

I was actually christened a Methodist, but my parents were not religious, more spiritual. We were raised to believe in what we wanted to believe in. Of course we were taught good morals and principles, plus how to be polite and respectful etc. But no religion was forced upon us. My parents never went to any religious meetings etc.
Stirky
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:00 am

Oh I have to add my parents were not atheists.
Stirky
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:27 pm

I was raised a Catholic, used to go to church all the time till I was in my teens but religion was never imposed, just like with Stirky...... and now I do the same with my kids, I don't impose them my beliefs (or lack of)...... in fact my daughter goes to a Church of England School and she goest to church with them and they pray.

My kids can make up their own mind, just like I did myself and I will love them no matter what.
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinoa Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:57 pm

I was brought up with no religion, my mum attended church once a year and that was all, I grew up with the believe there was a god, but after losing my two brothers when they were so young, yet seeing murders e.c.t living after the crimes they had committed I got angry and disillusioned with god thinking how could he take the lives of young children who are innocent, yet let the biggest sinners live, then I lost any believe in the existence of god, it was only years later when I started down my spiritual path that I personally realized that god does exist and how my anger towards god was wrong and that it isn't a case of god choosing who lives and who dies.

Anyway that's enough of my waffling lol.
Rinoa
Rinoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:10 pm

My Mum came from a very religious family, belonging to a small Anglican country church, they were a big family and all heavily involved in the church from the maintenance of the church, doing the flowers every week to playing the organ at the services.

My Dad came from the opposite family, although also Anglican, they didn't go to church at all, and had absolutely no interest, respect or even belief in religion.

As kids we were christened in the church, we were carted off to Sunday school 'religiously' every Sunday. And we were all confirmed. There was a certain expectation that this was just the done thing, but really it was never that strongly imposed on us. Had it not been for my Dads lack of belief in church and religion, it could have been quite different.

At the end of the day, it was probably more a social thing as these things can be in the country. We all went on to make our own decisions and follow our own beliefs with the benefit, in hindsight, of having seen both sides of the coin.
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:16 pm

I too was raised Anglican, folks went to church regularly but not every Sunday. By my mid teens I was questioning the things I was being taught and eventually moved away from the church completely.

Both parents instilled a strong sense of right and wrong in all of we kids, not based on religious beliefs but on moral grounds, something that I still have today.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:41 am

So we have 1 Lutheran, 1 Methodist, 1 Catholic, 2 Anglicans and I guess Rinoa was Church of England.......... it amazes me how many different branches of one same religion there are!!!!
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordae Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:13 am

Wasn't raised in any religion. Mum figured we were bright enough to find our own direction in the religious sense and concentrated on teaching us ethics and morality.
Mordae
Mordae

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:47 am

Same with me, Mordae... not raised with religion at all.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum