The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AncientBiotics...

3 posters

Go down

AncientBiotics... Empty AncientBiotics...

Post by Rockhopper Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:16 pm

Interesting concept and should be explored further.

A one thousand year old Anglo-Saxon remedy for eye infections which originates from a manuscript in the British Library has been found to kill the modern-day superbug MRSA in an unusual research collaboration at The University of Nottingham.

Dr Christina Lee, an Anglo-Saxon expert from the School of English has enlisted the help of microbiologists from University’s Centre for Biomolecular Sciences to recreate a 10th century potion for eye infections from Bald’s Leechbook an Old English leatherbound volume in the British Library, to see if it really works as an antibacterial remedy. The Leechbook is widely thought of as one of the earliest known medical textbooks and contains Anglo-Saxon medical advice and recipes for medicines, salves and treatments.

Early results on the 'potion', tested in vitro at Nottingham and backed up by mouse model tests at a university in the United States, are, in the words of the US collaborator, “astonishing”. The solution has had remarkable effects on Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) which is one of the most antibiotic-resistant bugs costing modern health services billions.

Source.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

AncientBiotics... Empty Re: AncientBiotics...

Post by Lenzabi Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:01 pm

some things Old are New again
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:50 pm

Not before time either Len. So many of those old treatments were very effective.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:08 am

Rockhopper wrote:Not before time either Len. So many of those old treatments were very effective.

Tim.

But left to the way side by modern medicine, even though they are finding uses for older remedies
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:25 am

Yeah Len. When the Pharma companies are not inventing new diseases for the new pills they produce, they are synthesising the old natural remedies so they can patent the product. can't patent a naturally occurring substance.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:31 am

I love it when discoveries (or re-discoveries)  like this happen, that show modern man that our ancestors were not a bunch of cretins but that had a lot of knowledge. I think modern science, especially in the 20th century, had simply discarded all ancient medical knowledge without even trying to understand it. Not long ago I was studying about antibiotics and I found out that in 1875 a man call Tyndall had presented evidence that the Penicillum fungus had antibacterial properties.... penicillin could have been invented 70 years before Fleming!

I think modern scientists should swallow their egos and should start reading ancient medical manuscripts to see what else they can find.... this are very special times and I am excited at what they may re-discover.

I love science and technology and all that they've achieved to make our lives easier, but I also love the old ways and in particular herbology which can be amazing to treat minor ailments and to prevent certain conditions. Very Happy
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:10 am

Yep Ags. John Tyndall did discover penicillum's effect on bacteria. He also found out that CO2 heats the air and coined the term "Greenhouse Gas".

England at that time produced some very brilliant people; Faraday, Crookes, Kelvin, et al.

What is needed is proper investigation into natural remedies and their actions without the endless commercial mentality.

I posted a link to a mushroom forum elsewhere that discusses the benefits of mushrooms and fungi as well as those which change reality!

https://islanders.canadian-forum.com/t1077-on-mushrooms

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum