The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keep it in the Ground...

3 posters

Go down

Keep it in the Ground... Empty Keep it in the Ground...

Post by Rockhopper Sun May 24, 2015 9:23 pm

A great series from the Guardian about oil and gas.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/series/keep-it-in-the-ground

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Keep it in the Ground... Empty Re: Keep it in the Ground...

Post by Lenzabi Sun May 24, 2015 9:25 pm

Shame it is not going directly to the exact article, very confusing as to which one to pick of the long list of things

I think this is the link now
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/21/guardian-view-climate-change-keep-it-in-ground
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Sun May 24, 2015 9:27 pm

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain but if you check the page you will find it all.

And some from Shell; http://www.shell.com/global/future-energy/scenarios/new-lens-scenarios/new-lens-future.html

Even Bams is in on the act of calling out the deniers; https://www.barackobama.com/climate-change-deniers/#/

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Sun May 24, 2015 11:01 pm

BUT< I also have seen he may call them out, yet he has authorized them to drill in the Atlantic!
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Sun May 24, 2015 11:43 pm

Yep Len. Hypocrasy at it's finest!

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Mon May 25, 2015 12:33 pm

Rockhopper wrote:Yep Len. Hypocrasy at it's finest!

Tim.

I am still asking the question, what role does oil play in the planet? what are the consequences from removing it? if the planet is a body much the same as ours, is it the bile? can the cavities be compared to the gall bladder? if we do not know this what are we doing? These are fundamental questions, sooner or later we will see the results. We do not nee Alex Jones to tell us that something is wrong.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Mon May 25, 2015 2:46 pm

All I know as I'm not a Geologist, is that oil is not in big underground lakes that leave a cavity when it is sucked out. It's in a sandstone structure like water in a sponge. When the oil is gone the structure still remains.

'Fracking' is different as it shatters the sandstone and can seem to cause 'quakes of various strengths. It also allows the 'fracking' fluid to leak into ground water.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Tue May 26, 2015 11:48 am

Rockhopper wrote:All I know as I'm not a Geologist, is that oil is not in big underground lakes that leave a cavity when it is sucked out. It's in a sandstone structure like water in a sponge. When the oil is gone the structure still remains.

'Fracking' is different as it shatters the sandstone and can seem to cause 'quakes of various strengths. It also allows the 'fracking' fluid to leak into ground water.

Tim.

Tim The question I am asking of science is very much the same I would ask about my body. My liver produces bile a chemical that is used for the breaking down of all the substances that enters my body. This bile is stored in my gall bladder and is distributed when it is necessary. Oil is made from the most potent energy on the planet, the remains of all living things. It is inconceivable that this energy is accumulated stored in great cavities all over the planet and does not serve any useful purpose? Am I to believe there are no consequences if we run out of the commodity other than economics? I don't know if you have information on just what oil does to the planet, if you do I would appreciate it if you would send me a link.

When I look at my body and observe my hair it is much the same as plastic. I have oil in my skin, at the same time I know my body is the earth. This leaves me to think that there is in some way an input of intelligent design. Everything is recyclable, we cannot have an accumulation of any substance without an outlet. All the stuff I have read on what happens to the earth is not explaining what I am asking, namely If there was no more oil what would happen to the planet, they are saying nothing will happen. This is not logical.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Wed May 27, 2015 4:09 am

Well, we have burned that oil and made more carbon from the past put back into the present. The planet will recycle it in time. once the 6th extinction occurs, our bodies may also be used as oil by another future species.
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Wed May 27, 2015 10:06 am

Lenzabi wrote:Well, we have burned that oil and made more carbon from the past put back into the present. The planet will recycle it in time. once the 6th extinction occurs, our bodies may also be used as oil by another future species.

That is also my view Len, but what I specifically want to know is the function of oil in the soil. Does it seep out as bile since we know how it is made, or what does it do in its carbon state. Why is it distributed all over the planet? I could ask the same question about methane gas. I do know our bodies produce it what role does it play in our bodies. I hope I am asking the question correctly.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Wed May 27, 2015 10:40 am

Stargate wrote:
Lenzabi wrote:Well, we have burned that oil and made more carbon from the past put back into the present. The planet will recycle it in time. once the 6th extinction occurs, our bodies may also be used as oil by another future species.

That is also my view Len, but what I specifically want to know is the function of oil in the soil. Does it seep out as bile since we know how it is made, or what does it do in its carbon state. Why is it distributed all over the planet? I could ask the same question about methane gas. I do know our bodies produce it what role does it play in our bodies. I hope I am asking the question correctly.

Okay, so unless we take it out of the ground, Oil stays there, much like how our bodies store things such as adrenaline when needed, or the the way we isolate and cyst toxins or other substances in pockets inside our tissues.

Methane seems to be also a accelerator like adrenaline, it can if ice it is stored in thaws, escape and accelerate the carbon process we are seeing with global climate changes. first we tipped the carbon scales and warmed the planet a few degrees past the usual, the methane is now escaping from ocean pockets as the waters warm up due to ice cap melting, or the permafrost of the northern tundras become spongy, not solid anymore, allowing the stored methane out, and altering the nature of our atmosphere and climate.

Yes, all that stored methane lose from the thaws, plus our increased use of Natural Gas(sneaky stuff that methane), it is not just accelerating the heating process, but altering the chemical make up of the air we breathe. And that also worries folks as that will make breathing more a difficult deal if the methane balance mix exceeds the oxygen/nitrogen balance.

Most of the Idjits and deniers are thinking only of ice melting across the planet, seas rising, it also means worse storms of higher intensity, and a change of what we breathe. That can make things bad for delicately balanced lifeforms that rely on the air as is more than we do, we seem capable of surviving pollution to a degree before it also chokes us off, (Chines coal ash/smog ring a bell?)
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down