The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

U.S. Supreme Court rules in favor of gay marriage

+2
Kaere
Stargate
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

U.S. Supreme Court rules in favor of gay marriage  Empty U.S. Supreme Court rules in favor of gay marriage

Post by Stargate Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:08 am

WASHINGTON, June 26 (Reuters) - The Supreme Court ruled on Friday that the U.S. Constitution provides same-sex couples the right to marry, handing a historic triumph to the American gay rights movement.

The court ruled 5-4 that the Constitution's guarantees of due process and equal protection under the law mean that states cannot ban same-sex marriages. With the ruling, gay marriage will become legal in all 50 states.

I guess one could say we have reached the point of no return. A question as big as this in the hands of a few. Thing is, we do not have a clue who these Supreme Judges are, or in what interest they voted.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

U.S. Supreme Court rules in favor of gay marriage  Empty Re: U.S. Supreme Court rules in favor of gay marriage

Post by Kaere Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:17 am

A very positive thing imo... wonderful news! Hopefully soon there will not be a question about gay or straight marriage or gay or straight rights or sexism or race or anything of the sort. I hope that some day there will just be "people" undefined by anything else.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

U.S. Supreme Court rules in favor of gay marriage  Empty Re: U.S. Supreme Court rules in favor of gay marriage

Post by Stargate Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:36 am

Kaere wrote:A very positive thing imo... wonderful news! Hopefully soon there will not be a question about gay or straight marriage or gay or straight rights or sexism or race or anything of the sort. I hope that some day there will just be "people" undefined by anything else.

Kae, lets say we agree there are certain things we would like to change, I think that is what life does, it changes things. On the other hand there are things that are man made changes, we change them by way of intellect. These changes we are making are fundamental changes. We have to look at our history and know that somethings are deeper than other things.
We are touching a fundamental law of the universe, which at the moment is not killing, but reviewing our subjective position in the angle of life as we know it. This can change the relationship male, to female, and offspring. It can be used as a tool of control.

This problem we have on the planet will not be solved by separating the genders, but by going deeper into ourselves. I think a line has been crossed without giving a serious look at the consequences of those actions. This is not so much about changes, but how to change. We cannot have a man made law for everything.  

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:43 am

I am all for any man made law that defends the basic human rights of people, full stop. This law does not separate genders, so I'm a bit confused about your statement there. I do not feel there is a right way or wrong way as long as we get there in the end Smile
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:07 pm

Kaere wrote:I am all for any man made law that defends the basic human rights of people, full stop. This law does not separate genders, so I'm a bit confused about your statement there. I do not feel there is a right way or wrong way as long as we get there in the end Smile

guess the question is, where are you calling "getting there" ? What are you calling human rights? A human cannot grant another human rights. Every human could say they have a right to slavery.

This is a sexual problem, men and women do not have a problem being together, they have a sexual problem. If you take away the guns it will not stop killing, it will however slow down the rate. Homosexuals have been with us since the creation of living flesh, and it's not going to go away. To institutionalize it will bring about the same results marriages are doing. People will continue to discriminate, and hate, until they convince themselves there is another way.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:17 pm

You see granting homosexuals the same marriage rights as heterosexuals as institutionalizing? I don't understand your thinking there, Stargate. I see it as protecting and defending and making sure everyone is treated equally.

It's not a sexual problem. It's making sure that a homosexual partner can be on a spouse's medical benefits plan, making sure they can inherit property after a partner dies, being able to receive life insurance, etc. Not about sexual practices at all imo.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:27 pm

Star, nobody could be granted the right to slavery because slavery goes against the wish of another person. Gay marriage is different: it is love between two consenting adults... not one forcing the other or making him/her suffer, but both wanting it. The opposite of slavery (as per your example). Smile

I agree with Kaere on this! I think it's fantastic news! Great news for equality!

Now I wait for those that said they were going to immolate themselves.. to do so! lol
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:20 pm

What an enormous step forward for equality! This is equal to the rights proclaimed for coloured people imo. But as usual Australia lags way behind. It took right to more recent times for Aboriginal people to be recognised as equal human beings rather than being flora and fauna. Now this gay marriage debate continues in Australia, every day we keep hearing about it! 70%+ of the population want it but the government doesn't.

Star I'm afraid I just don't understand your thoughts, I would like to. I admit I did used to hold a very different view regarding marriage and gay unions but I now see it absolutely as a basic human right. It is not about separating, its about coming together. Its about all of community being welcomed and accepted in the fundamentals of a healthy society.
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:34 am

As long as the partners are happy and not causing trouble for anyone else, then let them be.  We have legal homosexual unions here for a while now and the world didn't come to a crashing stop because of it much to the annoyance of those who opposed it.

Star, we have to have laws so our societies can function and the laws are made by men/women. Without them our society would be chaos.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:01 am

This ruling just mean s now that friends and some family of mine can now openly be together with less worries, true we still have folks here with hang ups, church based hang ups, but now the ladies and men I know who are Gay can be legally happy together, enjoying the same benefits of Marriage and all the trappings they can afford to if they desire it. Now to get rid of the color prejudices completely and we may start to see a calmer world, especially the tightly wound up America. Evangelists are the modern day Puritans over here, feeling as if they are fighting a war, it is a war they themselves imagine in their heads, but inflict upon us all, just look at the Salem Witch trials for an idea of what it would be like with the in total control of America. (They are trying to be)
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:36 am

Rogue wrote:What an enormous step forward for equality! This is equal to the rights proclaimed for coloured people  imo. But as usual Australia lags way behind. It took right to more recent times for Aboriginal people to be recognised as equal human beings rather than being flora and fauna. Now this gay marriage debate continues in Australia, every day we keep hearing about it! 70%+ of the population want it but the government doesn't.

Star I'm afraid I just don't understand your thoughts, I would like to. I admit I did used to hold a very different view regarding marriage and gay unions but I now see it absolutely as a basic human right. It is not about separating, its about coming together. Its about all of community being welcomed and accepted in the fundamentals of a healthy society.

Rogue, I am not against equal rights and justice, my point is not that there is some good in the courts decision. However there are some bad. We cannot just accept the things one group likes, we have to consider the whole. Human rights are not given by man, there are no ways to define human beings as such, except individually. we talk about the force of the law, every thing done by force is rejected by the masses.
No one should discriminate against another, if he/she does the question arises where did they get that right. The law to define marriage as one man to one woman, is a man law. The law for humans to procreate is a universal law. There is no universal law dictating that man should not sexually copulate with his or her kind. However there is a law a universal one that dictates, to procreate a man and a woman must copulate to reproduce. I do not think it is correct to discriminate against anyone because they choose a life style. Some people are born gay, some are born with both sexual organs, some are born with none at all, some copy each other, and finally, we are all born with some sort of deficiency.

I can remember in Jamaica the government wanted to borrow money from the world bank, and IMF. They were told if they did not change the buggery laws they could not get the money. This was carried out in a lot of Caribbean countries.
Right or wrong many of these countries have lived for thousands of years not knowing anything else than woman to man. They have been taught to see it as something evil. I do not see it as workable to within ten years to make something fundamental as this phenomenon decided by a few men sitting on a bench. I am not talking about peoples right to decide their sexual preferences, I am talking about the speed of which these very important decisions are made. Now a days we cannot wait, everything must be done in a hurry as if we have no time.

I know why most of you cannot see why I think this way, that I can understand, the thing is, I cannot just accept the total question without looking at the advantages, and disadvantages. Some people are having problems religiously about babies, they are not having problems about equal rights and justice, they do not agree with the status quo.

I personally do not think we should mix health issues and civil rights with procreation. I also do not think that there is not going to be problems down the road, I am just being honest with myself. I have no problems with anyone on this planet, because I am one of them.

I hope I was able to clear up my point of view, at least a little.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:40 pm

No problem for me Star, I understand your POV.

Your comments on the IMF both here and elsewhere are accurate too. Where-ever they go they leave a trail of utter destruction! Straus-Kahn wanted to change that and he got outed.

As for Homosexual couples, good for them too. They can enjoy all the benefits and celebrations of Heterosexual couples now.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:11 am

Thanks Star for your reply. If I understand you correctly that is how I used to think about marriage and procreation. Now same sex marriage sits much more comfortably with me and it seems its been a long time coming.
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:14 am

Meet Jack and George... they have been together for almost 60 years...... always wanted to get married..... why shouldn't they have the right to marry?

As long as union is between two consenting adults then what is the problem? They are not going to affect your marriage, they just want to be together spiritually and legally. That's all.

U.S. Supreme Court rules in favor of gay marriage  Gay%20married_zpsl2rzykxc

http://cw33.com/2015/06/26/gay-couple-in-their-80s-first-to-marry-in-dallas-county/
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:23 am

Well... I'm still puzzled, Star. Not puzzled about why you think something but I can't figure out what it is you're thinking. But that's okay Smile
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:37 am

Kaere wrote:Well... I'm still puzzled, Star. Not puzzled about why you think something but I can't figure out what it is you're thinking. But that's okay Smile

To be more precise Kae, I am more watching at the moment than thinking. Things are moving so fast I seem to not get rid of one thing before the next is there.
There is always good things coming out of bad, and versa visa.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:21 am

The owners of an Oregon bakery must pay a $135,000 fine for refusing to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple, a state official ruled on Thursday. Oregon Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian agreed with a preliminary ruling that Sweet Cakes by Melissa illegally discriminated against a Portland couple in 2013 by turning down their request based on their sexual orientation, The Oregonian wrote:

The owners vowed in a Facebook post to appeal the decision: "The final ruling has been made today. We have been charged with $135,000 in emotional damages, But also now Aaron has been charged with advertising. (Basically talking about not wanting to participate in a same-sex wedding) This effectively strips us of all our first amendment rights. According to the state of Oregon we neither have freedom of religion or freedom of speech. We will NOT give up this fight, and we will NOT be silenced. We stand for God's truth, God's word and freedom for ALL americans. We are here to obey God not man, and we will not conform to this world. If we were to lose everything it would be totally worth it for our Lord who gave his one and only son, Jesus, for us! God will win this fight. wrote:

Full story> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/02/sweet-cakes-by-melissa-fined-same-sex-wedding_n_7718540.html
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:32 am

People will discriminate against people, gay, lesbian, black or white.
The question is really, can the law force the religious people to break their religious belief, since it is the basis of their planetary existence?

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:39 am

The same-sex marriage debate continues in Oz. The latest reason against it put forward by the government...

Are we in the Asian century or not? Marriage equality will mean we won’t fit in with the rest of Asia.

Rolling Eyes
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:26 am

That's one of the more ridiculous statements I've heard in awhile. For heaven's sake, maybe Oz would pull some of the more backward thinking countries up along with it? Since when has Oz been about conformity anyway? Not that I've ever heard.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next