The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CUBA AND AMERICA RELATIONS

3 posters

Go down

CUBA AND AMERICA RELATIONS Empty CUBA AND AMERICA RELATIONS

Post by Stargate Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:24 pm

it seems there is no tomorrow when it comes to Cuba's and America's diplomatic relationship. I am so astound at the speed in movement to restore relationship, I know there is another reason they are not telling us.

There are enormous gaps in the Cuban infrastructure. Cuba is self sufficient in feeding itself. I am wondering how will Cuba cope when everything begins to speed up.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

CUBA AND AMERICA RELATIONS Empty Re: CUBA AND AMERICA RELATIONS

Post by Rockhopper Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:54 am

As long as the Cubans don't start selling the place off Star. 'Twill be good for their economy.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:11 am

My entire life has been spent knowing the bad relations between the US and Cuba, all stemming from Cold War fears. Sugar was replaced in many products with corn syrup, but when things were good, the US had cane sugar to make things with from Cuba. Now to see what come of this, like Rock said, as long as the Cubans don't sell the place out to our nations' greedy they will be okay.
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:38 am

Rockhopper wrote:As long as the Cubans don't start selling the place off Star. 'Twill be good for their economy.

Tim.

Tim, I am not quite sure I understand what you mean in selling the place off, do you mean to the Americans?
I think there is more to this partnership than meets the eye. my reason for saying this is based on the history I know about Jamaica, the US, and Cuba. There is a lot of stuff people do not know about the Caribbean, or at least they do not know the full story.
For example, I was a boy when American ships came to Jamaica and the sailors would walk down the main road soliciting very young women to prostitute them selves. Most of what the Americans wanted was sex, and Marijuana, they exchanged the substance for guns. Many of the young women got pregnant without knowing what to do. This practice left Jamaica only to start up in Cuba. American Italians took over Cuba, and the corruption sky rocketed. Americans do not have to be afraid of Cuba, it is Cuba who has to be afraid. Believe it or not Jamaica have been loyal to the British crown, and America, yet Cuba on her own is better off today than Jamaica.
I think the US is becoming desperate because they are running out of friendly nations to whose shores they can freely go. The Caribbean has been loyal and peaceful following the steps of democracy although I seriously do not believe they fully understand the reason they are not, and cannot survive in that environment.
I think Cuba is very important fro the Caribbean, the Americans could not continue with out embracing the friendly Caribbean, the problem is, they were not willing to be counted without Cuba. I do not think America does anything without some benefits, although they are not going to tell you.

I personally think Obama did the right thing, however I think Cuba should take it slow before getting too deep and did not read the fine prints, much the same as a lot of Caribbean countries. They all end up owing the world bank and IMF.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:39 pm

What I was meaning Star was knowing the history and the revolution. Prior to it Batista was the dictator there. He was outed by Fido. When that happened Fido approached the US Admin and asked them to help set up a US type Democracy. JFK had just been elected. They were rebuffed and the US demanded that he give the land back to the two US companies that owned it before the revolution.United Fruit was one and the other escapes me at the moment. Fido refused and turned to Russia for help. The rest, as they say, is history.

My somewhat cryptic comment was to hope that Cuba doesn't do the same again. History repeating itself.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:46 pm

Lenzabi wrote:My entire life has been spent knowing the bad relations between the US and Cuba, all stemming from Cold War fears. Sugar was replaced in many products with corn syrup, but when things were good, the US had cane sugar to make things with from Cuba. Now to see what come of this, like Rock said, as long as the Cubans don't sell the place out to our nations' greedy they will be okay.

Yeah Len. The Missile Crisis was one of them. The US started it by putting a chain of big Missile Stations along the border of Turkey aimed at neighbouring Russia. Russia responded by putting Missiles in Cuba and the world teetered on the brink of a Nuke War. Kruschev and Kennedy backed it away fortunately and things calmed down. The US pulled it's missiles back from the border in Turkey and Russia pulled it's one's out of Cuba.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum