The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RSV -- A Personal Story...

+2
Agartha
Rockhopper
6 posters

Go down

RSV -- A Personal Story... Empty RSV -- A Personal Story...

Post by Rockhopper Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:03 pm

RSV is a particularly nasty Flu Virus and it's doing the round s in Christchurch.

I felt a bit poorly from Monday on but nothing serious then. On Thursday morning I was sitting in the workshop office before work started. I was alone, Jaks had gone to work and the workshop staff hadn't arrived. When I suddenly felt all my energy just draining put of me and I could hardly breathe! Not a good look!

Called the ambulance and they arrived within a few minutes. Left a message there for Jaks but I don't remember much else happening. The really first cognisant thing I can recall was being in the A&E at the hospital with wires and tubes going into many places to fierce to mention!

Came home today, still feeling a bit weak and breathless but alive!

This is a very nasty vicious virus and dear folks, it's heading your way now, So if you get a serious sniffle GET IT CHECKED OUT! I didn't that's why I was hit so hard. It normally doesn't cause much trouble but this strain is BAD!!!!

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

RSV -- A Personal Story... Empty Re: RSV -- A Personal Story...

Post by Agartha Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:39 am

Wow, scary, I am glad you are ok now, Tim!!!
I have actually never heard of the RSV infection before, I will definitely read about it and be alert. Is it that maybe the younger and older are more likely to have severe symptoms?

Do you recall what your treatment was?
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:00 am

I was put on 2lt Oxygen and salbutamol (Ventolin), 10 puffs at a time into a spacer. Ipratropium Bromide (Atrovent) 2 puffs at a time four hours apart. It worked but slowly. On Thursday morning I was getting increasingly short-of-breath and going in and out of consciousness because of that Ags.

Normally RSV is relatively harmless and often people get infected but don't even notice any difference. This strain is very virulent! There have been 6 official deaths caused by it here and many more very sick. The ARMU (Acute Respiratory Medical Unit) at the local hospital is full of patients! It mostly affects children!

http://www.cdc.gov/rsv/about/symptoms.html

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Solace Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:56 am

Thank goodness you are ok Tim!!!
Solace
Solace

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:20 am

All the best to you matey. Tough old bugger!!
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:23 am

Alarming! Take care, Tim...
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:50 am

Rockhopper wrote:I was put on 2lt Oxygen and salbutamol (Ventolin), 10 puffs at a time into a spacer. Ipratropium Bromide (Atrovent) 2 puffs at a time four hours apart. It worked but slowly. On Thursday morning I was getting increasingly short-of-breath and going in and out of consciousness because of that Ags.

Normally RSV is relatively harmless and often people get infected but don't even notice any difference. This strain is very virulent! There have been 6 official deaths caused by it here and many more very sick. The ARMU (Acute Respiratory Medical Unit) at the local hospital is full of patients! It mostly affects children!

http://www.cdc.gov/rsv/about/symptoms.html

Tim.

Wow! They really tried to dilate your bronchi!!! And no wonder seeing as you were going in and out of consciousness because of that. But they were great and your brain has obviously not been affected by hypoxia!!

I will read the CDC page and the UK equivalent one tomorrow, I want to be prepared just in case this strong mutation arrives in the UK.

Are you still on O2 therapy now, at home? Or are you fine breathing unaided?
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:28 pm

Thanks all. Posted this because this strain is particularly bad during autumn/winter and ye of the north are heading in that direction. Just be aware, because it is so insidious, seems like a small, irritating sniffle but has serious consequences, so please get checked out should you be afflicted.

No Ags. I'm not on O2 now. Just the inhalers. Jaks is looking after me, mopping my fevered brow so to speak! O2 sat, is around the 95% which is okay for me.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:17 pm

Well, I'm glad you are feeling better and that wifey is looking after you!! Hopefully you'll be back to normal soon!! Very Happy
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:00 am

Sorry to hear you were so unwell Tim, glad you are on the mend! Sounds like it is a nasty virus!! A friend of mine had a really nasty virus a little while ago, he ended up in hospital for over three weeks and the first week was very touch and go for him. He was staying with his brother up country at the time he was taken ill, and still hasn't returned to his home in Cornwall as still very weak. Not sure if it is the same virus but sounds similar to what he had. He has underlying health conditions as he has Crohn's disease, so it really hit him hard bless him.
Stirky
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:28 am

Glad he's on the mend Sirkles. Crohn's Disease is bad enough without any complications.

Mostly RSV affects children and is not usually too serious. This strain is particularly bad. Apparently it evolved in the mountains of Equador and has spread through the Southern Hemisphere. It's a virus that likes the cold weather and warmth seems to knock it out.

I posted this as a warning to those of you in the North because you are heading into winter there. It starts with a sniffle and a runny nose but the most important symptom is a dry non-productive hacking cough that hangs on for some weeks. Before it suddenly gets really serious.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:49 am

Rockhopper wrote:Glad he's on the mend Sirkles. Crohn's Disease is bad enough without any complications.

Mostly RSV affects children and is not usually too serious. This strain is particularly bad. Apparently it evolved in the mountains of Equador and has spread through the Southern Hemisphere. It's a virus that likes the cold weather and warmth seems to knock it out.

I posted this as a warning to those of you in the North because you are heading into winter there. It starts with a sniffle and a runny nose but the most important symptom is a dry non-productive hacking cough that hangs on for some weeks. Before it suddenly gets really serious.

Tim.

That is really great info, Tim... especially the dry non-productive cough, a clear sign to spot... thank you!
Very Happy

Sorry to hear about your friend, Stirks.... I have known lots of patients with Chron's and  I know how tough and cruel it is... my most loving vibes to your friends ♥️
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:22 am

I'm getting back to normal now (well as normal as I can be!) Getting my strength back too. Antibiotics (to stop bacteria from taking advantage) are kicking in too.

Breathing is much clearer and freer.

I appreciate all the good wishes, many thanks!

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down