The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NASA to hold urgent press conference

+3
Rogue
Agartha
Kaere
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

NASA to hold urgent press conference - Page 3 Empty Re: NASA to hold urgent press conference

Post by Stargate Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:49 pm

Tim, I have been searching but I cannot find where I saw it, however here is an indication that they have be thinking about it. I am still searching.

USA: NASA SPACE SHUTTLE OPERATION PROGRAMME TO GO PRIVATE

Stargate

Back to top Go down

NASA to hold urgent press conference - Page 3 Empty Re: NASA to hold urgent press conference

Post by Kaere Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:03 pm

Here's the announcement *drumroll*

Mars' atmosphere being stripped away by solar winds...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/nasa-mars-atmosphere-announcement-1.3305295

Mars probably had a thick atmosphere that was warm enough to support liquid water, but it has since been stripped away by solar wind, NASA said on Thursday.

The Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) space probe determined that solar wind, a stream of particles including protons and electrons from the sun, has eroded the red planet's atmosphere over billions of years.

"Mars appears to have had a thick atmosphere warm enough to support liquid water, which is a key ingredient and medium for life as we currently know it," John Grunsfeld, astronaut and associate administrator for the NASA Science Mission Directorate, said during a press conference in Washington.

"Like the theft of a few coins from a cash register every day, the loss becomes significant over time," said Bruce Jakosky, MAVEN's principal investigator. "We've seen that the atmospheric erosion increases significantly during solar storms, so we think the loss rate was much higher billions of years ago when the sun was young and more active."

Recent research by NASA has led scientists to believe that liquid water still flows sometimes on the surface of Mars. But billions of years ago, when the atmosphere was thicker, the planet's climate was "much denser and warm enough to form rivers, lakes and perhaps even oceans of liquid water," NASA said in a press release.

Similar processes are happening to Earth now, but our planet's magnetic field deflects most of these solar particles, slowing the erosion and preventing it from significantly affecting the climate.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:21 pm

I don't really get the urgency K, I was expecting them to tell me something dramatic, I guess it's my expectations. Thanks for the post.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:19 pm

Star, this is what it says in www.nasa.gov:

NASA stands for National Aeronautics and Space Administration. NASA is a United States government agency that is responsible for science and technology related to air and space.

I am not sure about their space shuttle program, that video seems old, from the 90s or something. I'll look into it tomorrow.

Kaere... Shocked ... that's it? there is no freaking atmosphere in Mars but there used to be...... didn't we know that already? LOL
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:34 pm

I asked myself the same question K, what the big deal? Why the drama about a big announcement?

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:15 pm

No, Aggie, I don't think we knew that already.

The implication is that Mars' atmospheric decrease is measurable and so now we can do the calculations that show Mars' atmosphere was once much thicker than it is now and therefore means the possibility is much, much stronger that there was life on Mars' (to go along with the flowing water that had already been found). It is all shaping up to be some pretty good proof that there was life on Mars at some point. Not just a dead planet. That's my take on it, since you both asked me (for some reason?) Smile
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:20 pm

Mars, the planet Humans used to live on
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:40 pm

My take is that, there is still life on Mars, just not as intensive as it was. Every planet in our galactic family is alive, just not the same way they were. A dead planet will disintegrate and become fossil like everything else. The atomic structures on Mars are very much together, only the bindings are no longer the same. If we are looking for a pattern then look at the earth as a reference point, maybe I should say look at self, since we represent the totality. 

I think we are making the mistake of defining life as one state, but there is no one state of anything.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:07 am

Lenzabi wrote:Mars, the planet Humans used to live on

Yes, thats what I want to know! Very Happy
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:30 am

Mars went to hell, Humanity moved here, now we trash the place and are thinking of revitalizing Mars
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:31 am

If only there were some Pyramids or something! study
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:37 am

Kaere wrote:No, Aggie, I don't think we knew that already.

The implication is that Mars' atmospheric decrease is measurable and so now we can do the calculations that show Mars' atmosphere was once much thicker than it is now and therefore means the possibility is much, much stronger that there was life on Mars' (to go along with the flowing water that had already been found). It is all shaping up to be some pretty good proof that there was life on Mars at some point. Not just a dead planet. That's my take on it, since you both asked me (for some reason?) Smile

LOL we asked you cause we knew you knew!

I don't know about life yet, or life as we know it...... we'll just have to wait and see.
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:48 am

Agy I think there are things yet to come out about Mars, the answer is here on out planet, we just have to understand it.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3