The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hillary Clinton's Take on Banks...

5 posters

Go down

Hillary Clinton's Take on Banks... Empty Hillary Clinton's Take on Banks...

Post by Rockhopper Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:44 pm

Is she a part of the solution or part of the problem?

One of the most revealing exchanges in the Clinton-Sanders tilt involved the question of Wall Street corruption. Sanders has always been a passionate crusader against Wall Street perfidy, but Hillary's take on the subject was fascinating.

And:

Hillary, like her close advisor Barney Frank, has been pushing an idea that banks aren't at the root of any financial instability problem. Last night, she pointed a finger instead at "shadow banking," non-bank actors like AIG, and a dead investment bank in Lehman Brothers. (Interesting she didn't mention a still-viable investment bank like Goldman, Sachs, which has hosted her expensive speaking engagements.)
[Emphasis mine]

Source.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Hillary Clinton's Take on Banks... Empty Re: Hillary Clinton's Take on Banks...

Post by Mordae Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:36 am

I'll go out on a limb and say that nothing will change under Hillary. In saying that, I don't really have much faith that things would change greatly under Bernie (who also has a couple of issues) either...he'd have a block formed against all of his policies by both sides of the House, it'd make the Caucus Room Conspiracy look like a petty squabble.

One interesting thing I've noticed is the tendency of the "progressive" leaders to be either sidelined or turned. Syriza was supposed to work for the Greek people yet folded for the EU. Obama promised change but was effectively blocked and/or reneged on his promises, Still waiting to see how Corbyn does in the UK, but the u-turn vote on austerity doesn't bode well for a fresh start.

Near as I can see, the entire political system, globally, is so endemically corrupt that the concept of changing it from within is laughable. To rehash yet another internet quote... "Don't hate the player, hate the game".
Mordae
Mordae

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:13 am

No argument from me Mordles, I agree entirely.

The main problem that pervades all of the developed Democracies is that the major parties are so similar it's impossible to see any difference. Our own Andy Little is just a John Key clone.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:06 am

As I have said, getting Bernie into office is part of the battle, then we need to do the same for the mid-terms and elect senators and congress seats filled with Progressive people and remove the Repuglicans and the Status quo dems. also, get rid of Debbie Wasserman-Schutlz and replace her with a more progressive and open minded person. She has done damage to the Democratic party imo.
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:08 pm

Yep Len. Bernie does have some support in Congress but little in the Senate so far.

A good discussion about Bernie and his ideas here.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:54 pm

I also tend to agree with Mordae on this point. I do not see any opening in the political arena for meaningful change. We have grind-ed ourselves to a stop with no human mind  capable of making a meaningful change.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:04 pm

Rockhopper wrote:Yep Len. Bernie does have some support in Congress but little in the Senate so far.

A good discussion about Bernie and his ideas here.

Tim.

Pretty decent article. It also shows what the MSM are missing. that the voters, the people want a major change in the "same-old-same-old" style of politics which has lead us to the bad point we are at now.
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:05 pm

Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:46 pm

I do not think the question is do we need Bernie, it is yes, the question is more, can he handle it. I think no.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:55 pm

Why do you think he can't handle it, Star? From all I've heard about his record and time in office, he's more than capable of handling the position.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordae Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:59 am

I think Bernie could handle it...The Senate and Congress however, is a different story.

Maybe the bigger question is what do we replace the current political system with?
Mordae
Mordae

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:33 am

Kaere wrote:Why do you think he can't handle it, Star? From all I've heard about his record and time in office, he's more than capable of handling the position.
Well K, my reason for saying Bernie cannot handle it is based on the fact that people are exploding great buildings ( Trade Center) to make a point. The leader or next president of the US must be a progressive dictator, or a rebel. There is not one of the 1% that will change anything because a Bernie Saunders want to change the status quo. Bernie would have to have a new everything, house, dog, senate, and a new heart of solid iron to bring America back to the center. Not only that he would have to have the thinking people on his side.

America has abandoned the children, the elderly, the sick, and now they are doing the same to the middle class. They have lost the ability to think creatively, and as it seems no way to stop ego. Those are some of my reasons why Bernie Sanders is not strong enough.
Mind you, there must be some changes in world politics, even in Canada, Australia, England, and many other countries. I am not sure those leaders who can tackle the necessary changes are born yet. 

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:57 pm

I feel there is a danger in needing all t's crossed and all i's dotted before change is attempted. If we waited for perfection, nothing would ever get done. I feel there is going to be a lot of change in US politics in the next few years, the smallest of changes can change congress and the senate, and I think it's going to happen. I feel that the extremist republicans are going to lose much of their power as more moderates get tired of their shenanigans. One of the democrats running for President now is a former republican for goodness sake. I really feel the GOP (as we know it) days are numbered.

Sometimes the few have the drag the world towards something better, ready or not. And in this case, the few do have a lot of power in their potential.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:15 pm

In the first part I agree, in the second part, I am not worried about the few politicians. I am worried about the lost people. As I said before the pied piper has to be paid, or the people will perish.

We have some serious problems K, but they cannot solve themselves, we have to get involved, and therein lies the problem. We have lost trust to each other. We can change it, but we have to do something.
The changes we now need has to be addressed by a bigger, or higher body, like our galaxy. Can you see where I am coming from?

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:24 pm

Bernie won't be able to make sweeping changes Star but he can make small changes in the right direction. The changes that are needed will take time. Always supposing that he gets the top job of course!

The general mood throughout the western nations is the people are tired of the extreme rightwing policies and want something better for all.

Economies are never balanced and favour one group over the others. For the last 50 or so years we have had the wealthy being favoured over the general population. That is why people are getting poorer whilst the rich are getting richer and wages are stagnating.

Even the IMF are showing concern about the disparity and are suggesting that something should be done. The UK has Corbyn, the US has Bernie, and there is Podemos in Spain. Syriza in Greece who really didn't have a show against the Troika, they were stonewalled. There is another in Italy that I can't recall their name but they all want something better.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:45 pm

I see where you're coming from, Stargate... and I disagree.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:03 pm

Tim, I know you are making sense, I am afraid its a little too late. You are stressing Bernie, I am stressing people.

There are fundamental changes necessary on so many fronts, and levels. I do not mean just on the US Sean, I mean World Sean. There is no little by little when you look at world economics. I think a baby could tell you that the way the way the whole capitalistic thing is structured it cannot work on a long time basis. I believe most countries are now looking at US policies more than ever. Once the monetary systems fail, people will disperse.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:04 pm

I am reminded of the words: An outcome best achieved, according to the Italian social scientist, Vilfredo Pareto (1848-1923) by means of an “orderly circulation of elites”.

That is what we are experiencing now Star. That orderly circulation is why we get pollies who constantly circulate between the Govt. and the Banking system and on to the regulators. It shows where they are at.

I do disagree though with the concept that changes can't be made. They can. In the past there was a revolution about every 100 years to clean out the rubbish. I don't want to see another revolution Star, too many good people die in them.

If Bernie gets the job the people who supported him need to make sure the changes get through. They can do that by hammering their reps. and swamping them with demands that the policies are passed.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:31 pm

Tim, I am a pessimist, as I am an optimist, I check you to be somewhat the same. In the reality we can only hope that reason will prevail. In a sense there is truth is all of what is said.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:38 pm

Agreed Star!

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum