The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ottawa's Turn...

2 posters

Go down

Ottawa's Turn... Empty Ottawa's Turn...

Post by Rockhopper Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:16 am

Sinkhole in Ottawa causes some consternation!

Ottawa's Turn... Ottawa_sinkhole_canada_8jun2016_by_mitch_f

A large sinkhole has opened up near the corner of Rideau Street and Sussex Drive in downtown Ottawa, Canada a few hours ago, June 8, 2016, causing a gas leak and shutting down the Rideau Street. At least one vehicle was swallowed by the growing hole. The Rideau Centre shopping mall and the Westin Hotel were evacuated.

Officers are on the scene directing traffic, but Ottawa Police Const. Marc Soucy advised people to follow the City of Ottawa for updates as repairs get underway. Buses were being rerouted, National Post reports.

"Twitter exploded with pictures of the sinkhole and reports of the “foul” smell of gas. The collapse occurred shortly after 10:00 [14:00 UTC] and soon spread across all four lanes of Rideau Street between the Rideau Centre and Chapters, swallowing a dark van that had been parked outside Chapters. Hydro Ottawa was reporting a power outage in the area of Rideau, Besserer, Nicholas, Wellington and Sussex affecting 851 customers. Crews were responding with the cause under investigation," the NP article said.

As of 15:30 UTC, there are no reports of injuries.

Source.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Ottawa's Turn... Empty Re: Ottawa's Turn...

Post by Kaere Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:54 pm

I've been there! Yikes...

I read somewhere that the city thinks it'll be repaired in a week. Pah!!! I lol'd very hard Razz
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down