The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PTSD and Warshock...

+5
Marilyn7
Monk (in hiding)
Rogue
Nami4444
Rockhopper
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

PTSD and Warshock... - Page 2 Empty Re: PTSD and Warshock...

Post by Monk (in hiding) Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:24 pm

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marilyn7 Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:59 pm

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it . Smile
Marilyn7
Marilyn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:34 pm

VM Cannabis increases the likelihood of getting Paranoid Schizophrenia. Furthermore I have just had my lungs fixed to a degree and I'm not going to do anything to damage them further by smoking.

Which warzone were you in VM?

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:13 pm

Rockhopper wrote:VM Cannabis increases the likelihood of getting Paranoid Schizophrenia. Furthermore I have just had my lungs fixed to a degree and I'm not going to do anything to damage them further by smoking.

Which warzone were you in VM?

Tim.

deleted, personal info not to be shared.

Last edited by vision-master on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:21 pm

Ah so you weren't in a real warzone where people were shooting at you on a daily basis? Where you were in a deep forest with the enemy all around? It's a bit hard to sleep in those situations VM, always having one eye open all the time. Where you are constantly on edge waiting for another attack?
Where you are stuck behind a log with another young fellow and a stray bullet hits him in the neck and takes his head right off. Stuck there with his blood pumping all over you?

These are things that all soldiers go through mate and it affects them psychologically. What you see and experience is burned on your heart and soul forever. That's why War Shock is not PTSD but just one part of it.

This is why I can empathise with all of those men who return from Iraq and Afganistan with their heads all screwed up. No amount of Cannabis can ever fix that, all they can do is learn to live with all those shocking memories. A good Psychologist can help them with that and they also need the support of their family around them.

VM you have no concept of what those people go through every day and night. So please show some empathy for them instead of spouting off about bad thing are and have been for you. Remember that no matter how bad things may have been there is always some-one worse off.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Marilyn7 Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:50 pm

This stuff hits me hard and the things our soldiers endure for us . Tim your compassion shows and helps me understand better . ~wipes the tear away ....
Marilyn7
Marilyn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:39 am

I was not in any active combat zone during my time in the 1980's almost went to Grenada in 83, but that was over fast enough I finished basic and AIT. THen I was in the Nukes over in Germnay. on the CAS(Combat Alert Site), the klaxon never let us know if the deal was real or not, we had to wait for the drill inspection teams to come on site then we could breathe easy as they meant this was just a drill. A-10's also would arc around and over us practicing area suppression in case the Spetznats over ran our site.

But the main pressure was that we might actually launch the missiles, if that happened, we were sending 440kilotons x 3 for our Battery, of thermonuclear city destroying death and would ourselves be vaporized in 30mins.

Some days the drills would be every couple of hours.

This was what we had to maintain and babysit
PTSD and Warshock... - Page 2 800px-Pershing_missile_%286073905480%29

And this is not as loud as what woke us up at times, but is basically it
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:22 am

Not to reduce what you went through Len because you were under stress too.

We were sent out into the jungle for 10 days to two weeks at a time. In an area where the enemy was all around us. Often we didn't know where they were until the shooting started. So we had to be alert all the time we were out there.

We saw some very horrible things, things that to this day I can't put words to, and to my endless shame, I took part in some too. That more than anything is what troubled me for so many years afterwards. Guilt is the worst form of shame!

I'm glad that I could help even in just a small way Marilyn. Kia Kaha! (be strong!)

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:13 am

Rockhopper wrote:Ah so you weren't in a real warzone where people were shooting at you on a daily basis? Where you were in a deep forest with the enemy all around? It's a bit hard to sleep in those situations VM, always having one eye open all the time. Where you are constantly on edge waiting for another attack?
Where you are stuck behind a log with another young fellow and a stray bullet hits him in the neck and takes his head right off. Stuck there with his blood pumping all over you?

These are things that all soldiers go through mate and it affects them psychologically. What you see and experience is burned on your heart and soul forever. That's why War Shock is not PTSD but just one part of it.

This is why I can empathise with all of those men who return from Iraq and Afganistan with their heads all screwed up. No amount of Cannabis can ever fix that, all they can do is learn to live with all those shocking memories. A good Psychologist can help them with that and they also need the support of their family around them.

VM you have no concept of what those people go through every day and night. So please show some empathy for them instead of spouting off about bad thing are and have been for you. Remember that no matter how bad things may have been there is always some-one worse off.

Tim.

Not to reduce what you went through Len because you were under stress too.

We were sent out into the jungle for 10 days to two weeks at a time. In an area where the enemy was all around us. Often we didn't know where they were until the shooting started. So we had to be alert all the time we were out there.

We saw some very horrible things, things that to this day I can't put words to, and to my endless shame, I took part in some too. That more than anything is what troubled me for so many years afterwards. Guilt is the worst form of shame!

I'm glad that I could help even in just a small way Marilyn. Kia Kaha! (be strong!)

Tim.

r, you are sounding like a narcissist?

Researchers have found that a narcissist reacts much more emotionally than a non-narcissist, sometimes with "narcissistic rage" when his (or her) ego is threatened.2 Social comparison information is especially salient as the narcissist processes social information in terms of its relevance to the self, that is, he reacts to negative feedback with more anger and aggression and lower self-esteem than a non-narcissist. In fact his mood and self-esteem fluctuations can usually be attributed to social comparison information.

"Overall, individuals high in narcissism displayed amplified responses to social comparison information, experiencing greater positive affect from downward comparisons and greater hostile affect from upward comparisons."3

Because of a propensity to internalize failure, the narcissist's emotional response to failure is to feel shame, as opposed to guilt felt by people without the disorder. So in order to avoid shame, which the narcissist feels must be avoided at all costs, he externalizes blame for negative events.5 As he feels someone must be guilty, he almost always attributes blame to others. Only when his self-esteem is particularly high, perhaps through some positive feedback he has engineered, does he accept blame, and only then if it can be seen as a magnanimous gesture.

A narcissist is someone who is overtly or subtly arrogant, exhibitionistic, vain, manipulative, and greedy for admiration.6 Narcissistic rage, character assassination and projection are some of the overt ways in which the narcissist expresses himself. For example, she may envy a work colleague's beauty, and project her feelings into her colleague by accusing her of being envious. Projection in teams is particularly prevalent.

http://www.winning-teams.com/recognizenarcissist.html

No wonder why whitty left, one can never sway an argument with a narcissist, never...

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:48 pm

Rockhopper wrote:Not to reduce what you went through Len because you were under stress too.

Tim.

Oh definitely! I was merely pointing out that my stress was mild compared to combat troops. You faced immediate destruction, it was real, it was there in your face.

Nukes are more an abstract sense as thankfully no one on either side sought to launch them

Patrols though are always frought with the perils you listed Rock, I for one am glad you made it out so we could post together and share ideas. Wink
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:50 am

Lenzabi wrote: I for one am glad you made it out so we could post together and share ideas. Wink

Probably by more good luck than good management Len!

All frivolity aside, I can empathise with all those boys and girls (and many were just boys and girls) who were in Iraq and Afganistan who are suffering from War Shock today. We need to support them in any way we can.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:07 am

vision-master wrote:r, you are sounding like a narcissist?

Vy jsteblázen!

VM you started all this crap at the old forum. You are the only person in the world who knows absolutely everything about absolutely everything. You started the personal attacks over there and have brought it here. Lay off it mate!

From now on you leave me alone and I will leave you alone.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:06 am

lol - narcissists always blame others.... Very Happy

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:38 pm

This sounds interesting Smile

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/painful-memories-rewired-in-mice-sparking-hope-for-ptsd-treatment-1.2749219

The frailty of remembrance might have an upside: When a memory is recalled, two research teams reported on Wednesday, it can be erased or rewired so that a painful recollection is physically linked in the brain to joy and a once-happy memory to pain.

While lab rodents were used in the research, it adds to growing evidence that the malleability of memory might be exploited to treat disorders such as post-traumatic stress.

In both studies, scientists focused on a phenomenon called reconsolidation. Discovered in the 1990s, it refers to the fact that when a memory is retrieved, its physical manifestation in the brain is so "labile," or changeable, that it can be altered. False memories can form, and the associated emotions can flip.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Marilyn7 Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:41 pm

That was interesting Kaere . I think more money needs to be put into PTSD research . I wish there was an easy way to swipe their memories like the Neuralyzer thing from Men in Black . It must be horrible to go through it .
Marilyn7
Marilyn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:41 pm

It would be nice but some might say we learn from our experiences, good and bad. Some may learn compassion and understanding where before the experience they had none.

Being tempered in the fire is never easy... not that I don't want to take away the pain or suffering for anyone in this world but I also don't wish to override freewill (both physical and spiritual).

I do wish that the coping mechanisms were easier to take on board, more effective against any mental illness... and of course I wish the reason for any PTSD didn't exist in the first place.

It can be a crappy world out there *sigh* and it will pull what seems like our very last ounce of strength from us.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:06 am

My mental illness has become a non-issue, there comes a time in everyone's life when they must face the mirror. To find the door and find a way to unlock it, to go inside and to not return. Somewhat of a rebirth.

Serious medical problems sometimes unlock the door.

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum