The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hong Kong

5 posters

Go down

Hong Kong Empty Hong Kong

Post by Kaere Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:13 pm

Anyone else finding recent events in Hong Kong to be quite fascinating?

I remember watching the Tiananmen Square events on the news back in the day. That feeling of "hmmm the world is shifting under my feet"... same as the Berlin Wall and others. Seems history is repeating itself albeit in faster cycles so it's easier to notice.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Hong Kong Empty Re: Hong Kong

Post by Lenzabi Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:10 am

China is aware that they are under more scrutiny this time, so not repeats of what happened in 1989
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:58 am

Yes the HK protests have been fascinating. Started off so quiet and grew so quickly. The ultimate peaceful protest for quite a time.
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:01 am

Yeah, seemed to me to come out of nowhere. I guess, because of what was deemed 'newsworthy' the last few months.

I read somewhere that the Chinese gov't is restricting which citizens can go visiting, reducing tourist dollars, in order to cause an economic squeeze and get the residents more fed up with the students.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:39 pm

The Chinese Govt. is paranoid (there's that word again!) that a demonstration will spread. In the past they have been toppled by demonstrations and they are determined to nip this one.

The deal when the UK handed it back was that Hong Kong would remain a democracy but the Govt. has gone back on that.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:42 am

Rockhopper wrote:The Chinese Govt. is paranoid (there's that word again!) that a demonstration will spread. In the past they have been toppled by demonstrations and they are determined to nip this one.

The deal when the UK handed it back was that Hong Kong would remain a democracy but the Govt. has gone back on that.

Tim.

To be realistic Tim, I don't see the Chinese government allowing western influence to futher infiltrate their decision making. The British have established such a strong political base that the government will have to try reverse the trend. As I see it this is the road most other countries take when the people rise up.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum