The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chernobl...

3 posters

Go down

Chernobl... Empty Chernobl...

Post by Rockhopper Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:53 pm

A chilling doco about Chernobl and the politics involved around the disaster at the Power Plant.

Having been to Prypyet, the nearby town now deserted I have seen the damage wrought on the people who lived there.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Chernobl... Empty Re: Chernobl...

Post by Lenzabi Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:34 pm

brave souls, those liquidators
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:23 am

Lenzabi wrote:brave souls, those liquidators

Yep Len. They were paid $200.00 an hour for that work. Many didn't live to see the fruits of that but their families were set up for life with the money.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:17 am

That was a very hard documentary to watch. I'm not sure their families were set up for an easy life, quite frankly, as it reported the liquidators having their welfare halved, etc. Treated as cannon fodder, while perhaps necessary, still reprehensible that they were not told all the risks before being put to work.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:01 am

And to think I can trace my heart ailment to a low level leak from a warhead, I doubt such radiation exposure like Chernobyl would have seen me live long past my army youth days. I likely would have died oh 1991-1996at best had I been in such a rad fest. I couldn't even handle a little warhead leak and am suffering from it. I would have known had they handed out dossimeter badges to us. Then in 2011, they tried to use covered dossimeters for those working contracts at Fukushima to downplay the issues. Hence I am wary of nuclear anything anymore
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:14 pm

Which is why I am a passionate believer in NZ's nuke free stance Len. The land around Chernobl is dead now and will be for thousands of years. A few hardy souls stay there but that's all.

One thing that stood out for me is the lack of birds there. Insects galore but no birds chirping, eerie silence!

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:03 pm

Aye, like with Hiroshima, plants and insects seem hardiest. some animals live in the lower rad zones surrounding the place, but well, good example to avoid the Nukes. Japan is the most modern 21st century version/reason to re-look at Nuclear and Germany went solar/wind
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Yup Len, I have been to Hiroshima and visited the 'Ground Zero' shrine. It's an awe-inspiring place to visit, the bomb was just a fire cracker by today's standards but it is incredible the way the stones on the ground have melted and fused together, like glass.

Tim.

Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:16 pm

I used to read the alternate term for Nukes back in old sci-fi and pulp fiction pieces, they called them "sun bombs" as they do seem to make it like a sun appeared from nowhere.
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:14 am

Yep Len the Japanese word for the big bomb is Okina taiyo which translates to "Big Sun".

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:00 pm

Rockhopper wrote:Yep Len the Japanese word for the big bomb is Okina taiyo which translates to "Big Sun".

Tim.

That might have inspired the Sci-Fi writers to use the term "sun bombs" I also found out that the water reactors, like in Fukushima and many American plants were originally made so that Thorium would be the fuel used, not uranium, but Thorium cannot be weaponized so in went the Uranium.
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down