The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pets for Health

5 posters

Go down

Pets for Health Empty Pets for Health

Post by Rogue Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:20 am

4 surprising ways a pet makes you healthier

1. Cats dramatically cut the risk of heart attack

A 10-year study by the University of Minnesota Stroke Center found that people with a feline at home were 40 per cent less likely to have a cardiovascular incident and 30 per cent less likely to have a stroke.

2. Dogs can detect medical dangers

Pooches can be trained to respond to seizures (lying next to their owner during a fit to prevent injuries from convulsions), hit emergency buttons and even detect changes in blood sugar levels on the breath of diabetics.

3. Looking at goldfish can improve eating habits

Malnourished Alzheimer’s patients are more likely to show a significant improvement in eating habits in the presence of a fish tank, according to studies published in the Western Journal of Nursing Research.

4. Stroking an animal reduces blood pressure

Rhythmically petting a snake – or any other animal – may reduce stress and lower your blood pressure and heart rate, according to studies published in the Journal of the American Heart Association.

From article>> http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/health/health+news/how+animals+can+improve+your+health,30205
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Pets for Health Empty Re: Pets for Health

Post by Monk (in hiding) Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:26 am

So Rogue, do you have any pet friends?

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:27 am

I have a Cat and heaps of different fish. So I have 1, 3 & 4 covered   Very Happy
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinoa Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:51 am

I have two cats and a goldfish, if the two cats had their own way I would be minus the goldfish though lol.
Rinoa
Rinoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:38 pm

I have heaps of fish too! I like the Dragon Ghobi's (Ghobi Dragons?) whatever, they're cool looking.

Will have two cats soon... best make a sign for the aquarium again... "Kitty TeeVee" Very Happy
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:31 pm

Amazing........and I believe it!!
I remember reading that cat's purr is actually good for your heart.
(Please read the whole article, very interesting!):

Cuddling up with your cat is good for you and for her. Scratch her favorite spot (try her cheeks!) and get a good purr going. She’ll be ecstatic, and you will get healthier. (Good news for those who cannot take advantage of this feline-based health regimen because of cat allergies: an effective treatment may be only five years away.)
Even if she doesn’t get her purr on, time with your cat (or other animal) is still good for you. Here are just a few of the many ways they take care of you.
Pets Help Sick People Feel Better
WebMD describes a number of benefits ill people derive from living with companion animals.
1. “Alzheimer’s patients have fewer anxious outbursts” if they live with a companion animal.
2. “Pet owners with AIDS are far less likely to suffer from depression than those without pets.”
3. People who suffer from high blood pressure, then adopt a cat or dog, navigate stressful situations with lower blood pressure than people who don’t have pets.
4. “Heart attack patients who have pets survive longer than those without.”
Pets Also Help Prevent Health Problems
5. Taking care of a pet provides elderly people with “exercise and companionship,” with such a positive effect that one company gives bonus points to elderly life insurance applicants for having a pet.
6. “Male pet owners have less sign of heart disease — lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels — than non-owners.”
7. Want your kids to breathe easy? Make sure they have furry family members. That lowers the risk that they will have allergies, asthma and even eczema, plus it strengthens their immune systems.
If you have quadripeds in the house, go play or snuggle with them at once. If you don’t, get thee to the local animal shelter and save the life of a homeless animal who will pay you back with years of good health.
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinoa Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:13 am

I remember watching a program a while back about how they were getting disabled children to interact with dolphins while the child was actually in the water as well, they noticed a remarkable advancement in the children's abilities and progression, while doing this, I think they still are doing this to this day.
Rinoa
Rinoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:58 am

Agartha wrote:Amazing........and I believe it!!
I remember reading that cat's purr is actually good for your heart.

My cat has the loudest purr, he purrs at the drop of a hat, always has done. Thats a good thing.. right? He also snores.. thats not so good.
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:40 pm

That's very interesting, Riona an maybe you should try to find something about it, I'd love to read or watch a video!!  Very Happy 

Rogue, that is really good and the statistics are incredible: people with cats have 40% less chance of having a heart attack!! This is why crazy cat ladies live so long!! lol
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinoa Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:58 pm

I can't find the original program I watched, but I did find these

Rinoa
Rinoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content