The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deadly Ebola Virus

+11
IceWendigo
Aianawa aianawa nui
Stargate
Lenzabi
Kaere
Agartha
X
Mordae
Rockhopper
Rinoa
Rogue
15 posters

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Deadly Ebola Virus - Page 10 Empty Re: Deadly Ebola Virus

Post by Stargate Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:14 am

Thanks for the link Stirky, very interesting.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:34 am

Yes it is interesting
Stirky
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:31 pm

I was wrong, the book I referred to earlier is called 'The Hot Zone' by Richard Preston.

It goes into real depth on how the disease got into the population and where it came from.

Back in the 1970's a sample of a virus that was killing monkeys was being investigated in Marburg, Germany. During the investigation the virus escaped and several staff contracted it and died. That is known as the Marburg Strain.

From the review of the book:

The Hot Zone traces the true events surrounding an outbreak of the Ebola virus at a monkey facility in Reston, Virginia in the late 1980s. In order to contextualize the danger posed by this outbreak, Preston provides background about several other viral outbreaks, particularly in Africa in the 1970s and 1980s. The result is a fast-paced scientific thriller that, while lacking the traditional narrative of a fictional work, is all the more terrifying because it describes factual events. While Preston does not overstate the danger of Ebola and other filoviruses, he argues that the greater threat lies in emerging viruses like the AIDS virus, whose effect on the human race cannot yet be measured.
The book begins in Kenya in 1980, where Preston describes the exposure and death of French expatriate Charles Monet due to the Marburg virus. Preston portrays Monet’s symptoms and bloody death in extreme detail, providing the reader with an immediate sense of the virus as a predator with the potential to decimate a large population. The author then provides background about the first outbreak of the Marburg virus in a vaccine factory in Marburg, Germany in 1967.
Over the next several chapters, the book describes outbreaks that occurred four years before Monet’s death. First, Preston highlights an outbreak of the Sudan strain of the Ebola virus, which first strikes a quiet storekeeper named Yu G. before spreading throughout his district. Then, the narrative shifts to an even more horrific outbreak of Ebola Zaire, which simultaneously appears in dozens of villages as the result of the use of dirty needles at a medical clinic. Both outbreaks cause hundreds of deaths, but Preston provides particular details about the death of one woman, a nurse named Mayinga N. who becomes infected with Ebola Zaire at the Ngalemia Hospital and spends two days in the capital city before being quarantined.

Tim.

Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:32 pm

Let's not get paranoid about it and feed the Fear Factor.

I recall back in the 1970's when AID's reared it's ugly head, the doomers were saying that it was the end of humanity and we all were going to die horribly.

We're still here and we will get through this too.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordae Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:15 am

Laughing at least 50% will Wink
Mordae
Mordae

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:49 am

That's all members here then Mordie!

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:43 am

I don't think we're getting paranoid about it, just having a discussion and adding the puzzle pieces. It may not be as easily transmitted as Influenza but it's also not as easily treated as Influenza is nowadays (even though yes, people do continue to die from the flu).

There's a nurse in Spain who has contracted it from a patient she was treating.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/spanish-nurse-tests-positive-for-ebola-after-treating-patient-in-spain-1.2789219
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:55 am

Yes AIDS was a big fear, I remember it well in NZ. I remember ppl saying how they cleaned everything in their home after ppl left if ppl came for dinner. Over the top, but then we lost so many ppl to AIDS.

The biggest fear I would think is if Ebola keeps mutating.
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:18 am

I don't think anybody here is getting paranoid about it.

Yes I heard about the nurse in Spain today Kaere.
Stirky
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:26 pm

No paranoia is probably the wrong word. But it effectively describes the acts of the media surrounding Ebola.

Of course it's a nasty disease but personally I don't think we need to worry over much.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:28 pm

The media always hype up stories like this, they always have done and always will.
Stirky
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Someone in Nebraska being treated.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/cameraman-receiving-experimental-ebola-drug-at-nebraska-hospital-1.2042752

And the reaction by health authorities in Madrid. I'm not so sure it's just the media hyping things. The reports seem quite matter of fact about what's going on.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/madrid-scrambles-to-contain-ebola-as-virus-escapes-europe-s-defences-1.2042595
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordae Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:49 am

Rockhopper wrote:No paranoia is probably the wrong word. But it effectively describes the acts of the media surrounding Ebola.

Of course it's a nasty disease but personally I don't think we need to worry over much.

Tim.

As they say..."If it bleeds, let it lead". Wink

Yeah, you probably don't want to be swapping spit with new arrivals from Sierra Leone, but other than that a bit of general awareness will probably help a great deal more. All things considered, we're much more likely to be contaminated with feacal matter at the local mall (or eat/drink it at the local fast food outfit).

This made me chuckle though (a bit of strong language further on in the article):

Ebola, Obola, Obama: How Crazy Can We Get About a Virus?

The Rude Pundit doesn't talk much about his non-bloggy professional life because, well, Batman never discusses Bruce Wayne's investment portfolio. However, he does feel it's important in this time of media-fanned fear and burgeoning hysteria to let you in on one interesting detail: The Rude Pundit works and sometimes plays in the largest Liberian community outside of Liberia. He has taught and will no doubt in the future teach Liberians, some of whom have recently been to Liberia. He advises and interacts with Liberians on a one-on-one basis constantly.

And you know what? He's not even a little afraid of catching Ebola from any of them. He ain't even gonna wash his hands any more than he does. Why? Let's just say he's got bills to pay and other shit to do, and he's more likely to catch tuberculosis or Enterovirus D-68, which has actually killed two kids in the U.S. so far, but, of course, it doesn't sound African and jungle-y.

Neither does Marburg, which is another fun filovirus like Ebola. In fact, going back in time, Marburg and Ebola were pretty much the Bobsey Twins of Bleeding-Nipple Doom in the book The Hot Zone, where most of us first heard about either of these diseases in the 1990s. Marburg is a big, bad virus from, among other places, Uganda. And back in 2007, Michelle Barnes had traveled to Uganda. When she got back to the U.S. in January 2008, she got sick a few days later and ended up in the hospital in Colorado as many of her organs were starting to shut down. She was treated as if she had pneumonia or a serious flu and got better.

When Barnes heard about a woman who had contracted Marburg in the same cave in Uganda she had visited, she got tested in July 2008. Turns out she had Marburg (or MARV, in medical acronym terms). According to the CDC, she was the first person we know of to walk around America with filovirus-caused hemorrhagic fever. And no one knew until she was all better. No one she touched or kissed or anything, all with an illness that has a roughly 80% mortality rate.

You know how many other people got sick? None. You know when we found out about it? In February 2009, long after the whole thing was over. How much did we all freak out? Pretty much not at all.

Now, with one case of a dude who was out and about for a day or so with Ebola, with the disease trashing Liberia and Sierra Leone and more countries in West Africa, we're collectively losing our f@*kin' minds despite the fact that no one known to have been in contact with said dude has shown any signs of Ebola...
Mordae
Mordae

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:10 am

Yep Mordie he calls a spade a spade there. Renown for it!

What I was trying to say before is don't be afraid because fear paralyses people. Be aware and take care that's all.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:36 am

Protests and clashes with the police in Madrid outside the apartment of the nurse that has come down with Ebola. The protests started because authorities announced that they were going to put to sleep the pet dog of the nurse as the dog had been in contact with her and might be carrying the disease and could spread it.

We are starting to see the fear and panic setting in I think.
Stirky
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:50 am

Pundits here are spreading the fear, rumors, and conspiracy theories,,,,mainly Faux News, but others are also jumping on the fear-go-round
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:15 pm

I hear that the fellow in Dallas has died!

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stirky Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:16 pm

Sad
Stirky
Stirky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk (in hiding) Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:19 pm

Rockhopper wrote:I hear that the fellow in Dallas has died!

Tim.

Funny how this kind of stuff always starts in Africa?

Monk (in hiding)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:21 pm

That's unfortunate... seems that even good medical facilities aren't always able to save. It's still quite a lethal disease. Here's hoping no one else abroad catches it and perhaps the world can focus on getting it under control in Africa.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next