The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deadly Ebola Virus

+11
IceWendigo
Aianawa aianawa nui
Stargate
Lenzabi
Kaere
Agartha
X
Mordae
Rockhopper
Rinoa
Rogue
15 posters

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

Deadly Ebola Virus - Page 6 Empty Re: Deadly Ebola Virus

Post by Lenzabi Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:35 am

Look as the pandemic is countered by human ingenuity most times, she finds other ways. Epigentic keys unlocked a rising population of both uninterested(asexuals) and interested in same sex partners(homosexuality) so it is all normal for this as Nature does control animal populations the same way, making individuals like this is not actual abnormal as some think, just Nature's way of putting the hose on us to slow down or stop procreating so much. Add in pollutants are making sterility another factor to slow human pop bursts down.

For me, well, I personally stopped looking as I have many bad gifts to pass to a kid. shortened lifespan due to Heart/lungs/diabetes, I may be carrying the prions for Mad Cow, and I was exposed to radiation in the Army, which has altered and mutated my little swimmers, ( I did get to see under a microscope the damage) s I most likely am sterile, or will give some freaky surprises out. Was an easy decision to place myself on the VHeMT ranks.
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:59 am

I am very suspicious of all the deadly diseases coming from Africa. it seems to me a potential scare. I do not trust most of what I am told in the media, and I do not believe it is an outbreak. I think it is a deliberate attempt to keep the fear mongering going, and further control the resources in Africa. We now see there is a potential cure for aids, yet we have not being told how it came about. We are living in uncontrollably times where the masses are driven to any corner of the belief spectrum the power hungry desires.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:03 pm

Apparently a priest who had ebola has died in hospital in Madrid (I think it was Madrid... better double check that).

Edit - add link http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/spanish-priest-with-ebola-dies-in-madrid-hospital-1.1955794

Last edited by Kaere on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:29 pm

Kaere wrote:Apparently a priest who had ebola has died in hospital in Madrid (I think it was Madrid... better double check that).

Hi Kae, I do not think it matters, they are going to give us some bull story anyway and we have no way of knowing what they are trying to achieve. It is just too difficult to believe anything in these times.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:53 pm

Stargate wrote:I am very suspicious of all the deadly diseases coming from Africa. it seems to me a potential scare. I do not trust most of what I am told in the media, and I do not believe it is an outbreak. I think it is a deliberate attempt to keep the fear mongering going, and further control the resources in Africa. We now see there is a potential cure for aids, yet we have not being told how it came about. We are living in uncontrollably times where the masses are driven to any corner of the belief spectrum the power hungry desires.

I agree and, like my dad was saying earlier, the pharmaceutical companies are now going to use new vaccines that have not been tested properly on the poorest people again......cause that's what the poorest are for the rich: guinea pigs.
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:10 pm

Agartha wrote:
Stargate wrote:I am very suspicious of all the deadly diseases coming from Africa. it seems to me a potential scare. I do not trust most of what I am told in the media, and I do not believe it is an outbreak. I think it is a deliberate attempt to keep the fear mongering going, and further control the resources in Africa. We now see there is a potential cure for aids, yet we have not being told how it came about. We are living in uncontrollably times where the masses are driven to any corner of the belief spectrum the power hungry desires.

I agree and, like my dad was saying earlier, the pharmaceutical companies are now going to use new vaccines that have not been tested properly on the poorest people again......cause that's what the poorest are for the rich: guinea pigs.

People, especially poor one's, are seen as collateral property Ag. At one stage in the development of pharmaceuticals they used to use animals as the test object, now they use people form different parts of the world without the people or countries knowing.

BTW, hope your family is ok. I am feeling better but need to go to the US for medical attention.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:17 pm

Stargate wrote:
People, especially poor one's, are seen as collateral property Ag. At one stage in the development of pharmaceuticals they used to use animals as the test object, now they use people form different parts of the world without the people or countries knowing.

BTW, hope your family is ok. I am feeling better but need to go to the US for medical attention.

Thank you, my friend! Everybody here is more than ok.
How are you feeling?
Isn't it very costly to go to the US to get medical attention???
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Agartha wrote:
Stargate wrote:

Thank you, my friend! Everybody here is more than ok.
How are you feeling?
Isn't it very costly to go to the US to get medical attention???

To be honest Ag, I do not have a choice. Here in Jamaica things have completely broken down. people are literally sent home from the hospital to die. The economy is at a stand still much the same as in most countries. Everyone is trying to find a way out but there is no way out or in. I know this is world wide but it is very bad in small countries like Jamaica. At the moment I am laying in bed with a problem that could take my life at any moment. I cannot worry or that would hasten the process so I live and enjoy the moments.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:02 pm

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Agartha Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Oh no, don't worry about anything right now........ enjoy the here and now, Stargate!!

I'll watch that video tomorrow........time for bed for me!!
lol
Agartha
Agartha
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:18 pm

Here's an article on the use (and non-use) of experimental drugs on ebola. Says there's some concern over experimental drugs only going to westerners.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/as-top-medics-die-of-ebola-debate-rages-over-experimental-drugs-1.1957683

DAKAR, Senegal -- Doctors treating a leading Sierra Leone physician who became sick with Ebola considered giving him an experimental drug but feared it could trigger a dangerous immune response and did not administer it, Doctors Without Borders said Wednesday.

The revelation came the same day that another top doctor from Sierra Leone died of the disease, fuelling a debate about how to apportion a limited supply of untested drugs and vaccines and whether they are even effective. Modupeh Cole was one of the top doctors working in the Ebola isolation ward in Connaught Hospital in Freetown, Sierra Leone's capital.

Ebola has killed more than 1,000 people and sickened nearly 2,000 in the current West African outbreak that has also hit Guinea, Liberia and Nigeria. Many of the dead are health workers, who are often working with inadequate supplies and protection.

At the time the experimental treatment was being considered for Dr. Sheik Humarr Khan, his immune system was already starting to produce antibodies suggesting he might recover, Doctors Without Borders, also known by its French acronym, MSF, said in a statement Wednesday. Khan was also due to be transferred to a European hospital that would be more capable of handling any side effects that might arise with the experimental drug, it said.

In the end, the treating physicians decided against using the drug. They never told Khan of its existence because they felt it would be unethical to tell him of a treatment they might not use. Shortly after their decision, however, Khan's condition worsened, the statement said, and the company providing the medical evacuation decided not to transfer him. He died a few days later, on July 29.

"Every day, doctors have to make choices, sometimes difficult, about treatment for their patients," said the Doctors Without Borders statement. "Trying an untested drug on patients is a very difficult decision, particularly in the light of the 'do no harm' principle."

The statement did not specify what drug was considered. But it is believed to be ZMapp, an experimental drug that has since been given to two Americans and a Spaniard.

The California-based company that makes the drug, Mapp Pharmaceuticals, has said that its supplies are now exhausted, and it will take months to make even a modest amount.

The drug has never been tested in humans, and it is not clear if it is effective or even harmful. The Americans are improving -- although it is unclear what role ZMapp has played in that -- but the Spaniard died Tuesday.

The last known doses of ZMapp are arriving Wednesday in Liberia, where the government has said they will be given to two doctors. They would be the first Africans known to receive the treatment.

But the debate over experimental treatments and vaccines will continue. Canada has promised to donate 800 to 1,000 doses of its untested Ebola vaccine to the World Health Organization and already questions are being asked about who will get it and how scientists will determine if it works.

Dr. Gregory Taylor, deputy head of the Public Health Agency of Canada, which developed the vaccines, said it makes the most sense to give the vaccine to health care workers in Africa who are among the most vulnerable because of their close contact with Ebola patients.

Guinea is considering asking for access to the vaccine, according to Communications Minister Al Houssein Makanera Kake.

Unlike ZMapp, which is being given to only a handful of people and is unlikely to yield significant information about the drug's effectiveness, the vaccine could be tested in a small, but more rigorous field trial.

"It gives us an opportunity to test the vaccine in an outbreak situation in populations that are at risk," said David Heymann, who headed the WHO's response to SARS and is now professor at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. "However, the study design will be very difficult because you have to make sure the health workers don't lapse in their infection control, and then you can't ever be sure it was the vaccine that protected them."
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:46 pm

Kaere wrote:Here's an article on the use (and non-use) of experimental drugs on ebola. Says there's some concern over experimental drugs only going to westerners.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/as-top-medics-die-of-ebola-debate-rages-over-experimental-drugs-1.1957683

DAKAR, Senegal -- Doctors treating a leading Sierra Leone physician who became sick with Ebola considered giving him an experimental drug but feared it could trigger a dangerous immune response and did not administer it, Doctors Without Borders said Wednesday.

The revelation came the same day that another top doctor from Sierra Leone died of the disease, fuelling a debate about how to apportion a limited supply of untested drugs and vaccines and whether they are even effective. Modupeh Cole was one of the top doctors working in the Ebola isolation ward in Connaught Hospital in Freetown, Sierra Leone's capital.

Ebola has killed more than 1,000 people and sickened nearly 2,000 in the current West African outbreak that has also hit Guinea, Liberia and Nigeria. Many of the dead are health workers, who are often working with inadequate supplies and protection.

At the time the experimental treatment was being considered for Dr. Sheik Humarr Khan, his immune system was already starting to produce antibodies suggesting he might recover, Doctors Without Borders, also known by its French acronym, MSF, said in a statement Wednesday. Khan was also due to be transferred to a European hospital that would be more capable of handling any side effects that might arise with the experimental drug, it said.

In the end, the treating physicians decided against using the drug. They never told Khan of its existence because they felt it would be unethical to tell him of a treatment they might not use. Shortly after their decision, however, Khan's condition worsened, the statement said, and the company providing the medical evacuation decided not to transfer him. He died a few days later, on July 29.

"Every day, doctors have to make choices, sometimes difficult, about treatment for their patients," said the Doctors Without Borders statement. "Trying an untested drug on patients is a very difficult decision, particularly in the light of the 'do no harm' principle."

The statement did not specify what drug was considered. But it is believed to be ZMapp, an experimental drug that has since been given to two Americans and a Spaniard.

The California-based company that makes the drug, Mapp Pharmaceuticals, has said that its supplies are now exhausted, and it will take months to make even a modest amount.

The drug has never been tested in humans, and it is not clear if it is effective or even harmful. The Americans are improving -- although it is unclear what role ZMapp has played in that -- but the Spaniard died Tuesday.

The last known doses of ZMapp are arriving Wednesday in Liberia, where the government has said they will be given to two doctors. They would be the first Africans known to receive the treatment.

But the debate over experimental treatments and vaccines will continue. Canada has promised to donate 800 to 1,000 doses of its untested Ebola vaccine to the World Health Organization and already questions are being asked about who will get it and how scientists will determine if it works.

Dr. Gregory Taylor, deputy head of the Public Health Agency of Canada, which developed the vaccines, said it makes the most sense to give the vaccine to health care workers in Africa who are among the most vulnerable because of their close contact with Ebola patients.

Guinea is considering asking for access to the vaccine, according to Communications Minister Al Houssein Makanera Kake.

Unlike ZMapp, which is being given to only a handful of people and is unlikely to yield significant information about the drug's effectiveness, the vaccine could be tested in a small, but more rigorous field trial.

"It gives us an opportunity to test the vaccine in an outbreak situation in populations that are at risk," said David Heymann, who headed the WHO's response to SARS and is now professor at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. "However, the study design will be very difficult because you have to make sure the health workers don't lapse in their infection control, and then you can't ever be sure it was the vaccine that protected them."

Thanks Kae, quite interesting.

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:14 am

Attention World: You just don’t get it. You think there are magic bullets in some rich country’s freezers that will instantly stop the relentless spread of the Ebola virus in West Africa? You think airport security guards in Los Angeles can look a traveler in the eyes and see infection, blocking that jet passenger’s entry into La-la-land? You believe novelist Dan Brown’s utterly absurd description of a World Health Organization that has a private C5-A military transport jet and disease SWAT team that can swoop into outbreaks, saving the world from contagion?

Wake up, fools.

What’s going on in West Africa now isn’t Brown’s silly Inferno scenario — it’s Steven Soderberg’s movie Contagion, though without a modicum of its high-tech capacity. Last week, my brilliant Council on Foreign Relations colleague John Campbell, former U.S. ambassador to Nigeria, warned that spread of the virus inside Lagos — which has a population of 22 million — would instantly transform this situation into a worldwide crisis, thanks to the chaos, size, density, and mobility of not only that city but dozens of others in the enormous, oil-rich nation. Add to the Nigerian scenario civil war, national elections, Boko Haram terrorists, and a country-wide doctors’ strike — all of which are real and current — and you have a scenario so overwrought and frightening that I could not have concocted it even when I advised screenwriter Scott Burns on his Contagion script. Inside the United States, politicians, gadflies, and much of the media are focused on wildly experimental drugs and vaccines, and equally wild notions of “keeping the virus out” by barring travelers and “screening at airports.”

Let’s be clear: Absolutely no drug or vaccine has been proven effective against the Ebola virus in human beings. To date, only one person — Dr. Kent Brantly — has apparently recovered after receiving one of the three prominent putative drugs, and there is no proof that the drug was key to his improvement. None of the potential vaccines has even undergone Phase One safety trials in humans, though at least two are scheduled to enter that stage before December of this year. And Phase One is the swiftest, easiest part of new vaccine trials — the two stages of clinical trials aimed at proving that vaccines actually work will be difficult, if not impossible, to ethically and safely execute.

If one of the vaccines is ready to be used in Africa sometime in 2015, the measure will be executed without prior evidence that it can work, which in turn will require massive public education to ensure that people who receive the vaccination do not change their behaviors in ways that might put them in contract with Ebola — because they mistakenly believe they are immune to the virus. We are in for a very long haul with this extremely deadly disease — it has killed more than 50 percent of those laboratory-confirmed infections, and possibly more than 70 percent of the infected populations of Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea.

Nigeria is struggling to ensure that no secondary spread of Ebola comes from one of the people already infected by Liberian traveler Patrick Sawyer — two of whom have died so far. That effort expanded on Wednesday, when Nigerian health authorities announced that a nurse who had treated Sawyer escaped her quarantine confinement in Lagos and traveled to Enugu a city that, as of 2006, has a population of about three million. Though the nurse has not shown symptoms of the disease, the incubation time for infection, which is up to 21 days, hasn’t elapsed.

Since the Ebola outbreak began in March there have been many reports of isolated cases of the disease in travelers to other countries. None have resulted, so far, in secondary spread, establishing new epidemic focuses of the disease. As I write this, such a case is thought to have occurred Johannesburg, South Africa’s largest city, and another suspected case reportedly died in isolation in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, prompting the kingdom to issue special Ebola warnings for the upcoming hajj. It’s only a matter of time before one of these isolated cases spreads, possibly in a chaotic urban center far larger than the ones in which it is now claiming lives: Conakry, Guinea; Monrovia, Liberia; and Freetown, Sierra Leone. So what does “getting it” mean for understanding what we, as a global community, must now do? First of all, we must appreciate the scale of need on the ground in the three Ebola-plagued nations.

While the people may pray for magic bullets, their health providers are not working in Hollywood, but rather in some of the most impoverished places on Earth. Before Ebola, these countries spent less than $100 per year per capita on healthcare. Most Americans spend more than that annually on aspirin and ibuprofen. “It’s like fighting a forest fire: leave behind one burning ember, one case undetected, and the epidemic could re-ignite,” Frieden recently told Congress. “Ending this outbreak will take time, at least three to six months in a best case scenario, but this is very far from a best case scenario.”At the same congressional hearing Dr. Frank Glover, a medical missionary who partners with SIM, a Christian missions organization, and president of SHIELD, a U.S.-based NGO in Africa, warned that Liberia had less than 200 doctors struggling to meet the health needs of 4 million people before the epidemic. “After the outbreak that number went down to about 50 doctors involved in clinical care,” said Glover. I myself have received emails from physicians in these countries, describing the complete collapse of all non-Ebola care, from unassisted deliveries to untended auto accident injuries. People aren’t just dying of the virus, but from every imaginable medical issue a system of care usually faces. –Foreign Policy
http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2014/08/15/pulitzer-prize-winning-writer-of-the-coming-plague-warns-you-are-not-nearly-scared-enough-about-ebola/
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:45 am

Defenseless: Outrage in Nigeria as government fires 16,000 doctors on strike despite Ebola crisis – death toll hits 1,145
Posted on August 16, 2014

Nigeria defenseless- A death sentence?

The growing spread of the Ebola virus in Nigeria remains serious enough to keep the nation in an official state of emergency, with thousands concerned that the virus will spread like it has in other West African nations.

In what many are calling a massive failure of optics, however, the Nigerian government has chosen to fire up to 16,000 doctors due to an unrelated medical employee strike.
http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2014/08/16/defenseless-outrage-in-nigeria-as-government-fires-16000-doctors-on-strike-despite-ebola-crisis-death-toll-hits-1145/
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:11 am

And while Humanity has gems of people,,,,,here we see that they are outnumbered by the stupids, the insanes, and the corrupt and incompetents. When doctors are needed the most, they do nothing to meet the strike demands to get them back working and also fire 16k of them. If this helps spread the disease, don't say I did not warn peeps.
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:29 am

Nigeria is perhaps the most corrupt of all the African nations.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordae Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:29 am

That either seems a lot lower than it should be or the deaths have jumped like 400 in 3 weeks. Even so, that's only the confirmed numbers, a couple of Doctors based in West Africa, that I've heard in interviews reckon that may only be as little as 20% of whats out there.
Mordae
Mordae

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:22 am

Yes, thats just to Aug 1, and theres evidently like you say, a large number not registered, or identified through the centres.
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordae Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:53 am

Interesting article Here that goes into the vulnerability of the health workers...although I found one of the comments quite interesting...

I've read a few comments here that suggest Ebola is not a serious concern, but let me point out its not a leap in imagination to suggest that terrorists organizations intent on our destruction are working at this very moment on schemes to smuggle Ebola specimens out of West Africa so that they might infect unsuspecting travelers on planes, trains or residents in large population centers. No need to develop high-tech bio weapons, or acquire nuclear materials to build dirty bombs. An ISIS member with dreams of world apocolyps calls up a buddy in Sierra Leone. He directs his friend to dismember a finger from a corps that lies rotting in the street. He puts it in a baggy and conceals it in a container that can be smuggled unnoticed across borders. On arrival, the finger can be ground up and fed to pigs to incubate the virus and when infection sets in, bodily fluids can be harvested and encapsulated in small vials of growth nutrients. At a predetermined time, these vials are broken open and rubbed on the hands, clothing and bodies of suicide Jihadists just before they enter international airports, or overcrowded shopping malls. All the high-tech screening equipment installed in airport security fails to detect these lethal pathogens. No sign of fever or visible symptom can be seen this early after exposure. These terrorists are free to trot the globe touching and infecting anything and everyone in sight for up to 21 days.

Maybe this sounds far fetched, but I'm sure a similar scenario has been keeping the US Government, Military, CDC and others up at night worrying about all the possibilities. People only feel secure at the moment because they believe Ebola is safely contained within the borders of the infected countries and no one in their right minds would intentionally spread the disease to the world beyond.
Mordae
Mordae

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next