The Island Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canada Federal Election

+2
Rockhopper
Lenzabi
6 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Canada Federal Election - Page 2 Empty Re: Canada Federal Election

Post by Kaere Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:40 pm

Oh yup, I'm pretty sure we are. We didn't get hit as hard as some other countries in the recent economic troubles but we did still get hit with it. And with oil prices plunging recently (thanks OPEC, you're the greatest) things went tits up pretty quick.

I really have no respect for any of the candidates at all... I may do a protest vote.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:10 pm

Kaere wrote:Oh yup, I'm pretty sure we are. We didn't get hit as hard as some other countries in the recent economic troubles but we did still get hit with it. And with oil prices plunging recently (thanks OPEC, you're the greatest) things went tits up pretty quick.

I really have no respect for any of the candidates at all... I may do a protest vote.
I am guessing you mean OPEC was at one time the greatest, they are certainly not the same OPEC we used to trust.

As i have read Canada has not been telling the masses the whole truth in order not to scare the public. The truth is, America is leading the pack in falsifying the economical news.

Did you know that Canada is the the only country that has never abused the friendship  with Jamaicans? It is very easy for Jamaicans to travel there, and versa visa. Actually Canada does not follow the US in all of its external policies. We share so much cultural exchanges, they do not allow racism to make or play any significant role in their relationship with most countries.  

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:35 pm

Hi Stargate,

No, I put greatest in italics to emphasize my sarcastic tone. One of the reasons (I read) that our price of oil fell so badly was because opec messed about with some factor to increase their own benefits. I could be wrong of course.

Well... I don't know what we're being told or not told because I'm not in a position to be one of those who does or does not do the telling lol. I really am not fond of any sort of conspiracy theory, it gives me a horrible feeling of being manipulated. There is no way to tell who is giving what misinformation or for what reason. Perhaps the gov'ts aren't telling the truth or perhaps those who are saying the gov't isn't telling the truth are the liars instead. It's already been shown that Russia was paying people to post comments in western media websites to try to sway readers towards a certain way of thinking.

I do know there is a very strong tie between Toronto in Ontario and Jamaica as a whole. Toronto hosts an annual caribbean festival which draws a huge crowd. Traveling around the world as a Cdn is quite easy for the most part, people seem to think we're harmless bumbling yokels lol... maybe we are *shrugs*
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:00 pm

You are so correct about who is saying what about other people and nations. I guess it really does not matter as long as you can decipher the truth for yourself.

I do not know if its easy for the rest of the world for Canadians to travel, all I know is it is very easy for Jamaicans to do so. Most of the restrictions other country puts in the way as much to do with racism, Canada does not have that, so you can imagine lots of Jamaicans in Canada and versa visa. The only reason i  have not visited is because, I am chicken when it comes to cold weather.LOl

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:52 am

'Nuff said!

And the author is being investigated for writing the above song!

An Ottawa federal scientist is being investigated for breaching the public service’s ethics code for writing and performing a highly political protest song to get rid of the Harper government.

Tony Turner, a scientist in habitat planning at Environment Canada, was recently sent home on leave with pay while the government investigates the making of Harperman, a music video posted on YouTube in early June that has attracted about 48,000 hits.

Mark Johnson, a spokesman for Environment Canada, said the department wouldn’t be commenting on the case because of “privacy concerns.” He said public servants agree to comply with the value and ethics code — which lays out expected behaviours — when they join the government regardless of their level or job.

The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada, which represents federal scientists, said the union was representing Turner. It said he was put on leave pending the outcome of the probe into allegations that he violated the ethics code by writing and performing a political protest song.

“We will stand up for its members who face the prospect of being disciplined for exercising their democratic rights as citizens. The Supreme Court of Canada has confirmed that public service workers, like all Canadian citizens, benefit from freedom of expression,” said PIPSC president Debi Daviau.
(emphasis mine)

Source.

Doesn't Stevie have a sense of humour?

Fascinating conversation here. Canadians like Kiwis and Jamaicans can travel anywhere in the world. And do so in relative safety. We don't need permission from some State Dept telling us where we can travel and who we go with.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:09 am

He should be able to write and spread whatever message he'd like to with regards to politics. The only thing that I imagine should be a problem is if he used his work facilities or equipment to create the piece in any way. Other than that, I don't think the investigation is going anywhere. And it's highly doubtful Steven Harper had anything to do with it personally... there are loads of vindictive wacky people in politics, bureaucracies abound. I doubt he even cares.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:00 am

As an outsider I liked the creativity, I think this is an intelligent way of expressing self, plus they were all enjoying it.

Freedom of expression in itself is not restrictive, it gives power just releasing stored energy out into the ether, it does not incite violence, it is not the same as freedom of action.

Violence is created when one is in pain and not at peace with self. I liked the video because I found it a happy expression of rejection. 

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Lenzabi Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:15 pm

Harper sounds like a dictator
Lenzabi
Lenzabi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:07 pm

Nah, he's not. Does he like to control the message his party puts out? Yes. Considering some of the ridiculously stupid things some Members of Parliament have come up with over the years to shoot their own parties in the foot, I don't altogether blame him. But that doesn't make him a dictator and he doesn't have that kind of control, any more than a US President or other G7 leader.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:51 pm

True enough Ka. Unfortunately for Steve, he's the Captain of the ship and so carries the responsibility of all the good and bad things, not to mention changes that his party wants to push through Govt.

According to his Bio he's as rightwing as they come.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:33 am

Its all gonna be over this weekend Kaere! Very Happy
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:42 am

Thank gawd for it... I voted yesterday in the advance polls. Apparently voter turnout for the advance polls is up quite a bit from last time, I've heard 34% and 11%. The more who vote, the better imo.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:53 am

Nice to have your voting done. Hopefully it'll be a clear result. What are the two different percentages?
Rogue
Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:01 am

Oops, I wasn't clear. Those are the two numbers that I've seen reported as being the increase in voter turnout so far. Not sure which one is correct. Really, I just complicated it all unnecessarily lol *smh*

Edited to add - http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/elections-canada-says-3-6-million-votes-cast-during-advance-polls-1.3269393

Elections Canada says an estimated 3.6 million people voted during four days of advance polls last week, representing a 71 per cent increase over advance polls in 2011, which were held on three days.
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockhopper Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:27 pm

I did my vote a few weeks ago. Be interesting to see the outcome this weekend.

Tim.
Rockhopper
Rockhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:24 am

You voted, Rockhopper? I wouldn't have thought you'd be eligible scratch long term expats do not have the right to vote. I'm a bit confused...

Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Solace Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:33 am

I haven't voted yet, but will be on the 19th.
Solace
Solace

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:24 pm

Kaere wrote:Thank gawd for it... I voted yesterday in the advance polls. Apparently voter turnout for the advance polls is up quite a bit from last time, I've heard 34% and 11%. The more who vote, the better imo.
Kaere, you do not sound optimistic about the outcome of the elections. Have you lost faith in the country or prime minister? Do you expect changes in the politics, or did you vote because you can? 

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaere Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:09 pm

Stargate wrote:
Kaere wrote:Thank gawd for it... I voted yesterday in the advance polls. Apparently voter turnout for the advance polls is up quite a bit from last time, I've heard 34% and 11%. The more who vote, the better imo.
Kaere, you do not sound optimistic about the outcome of the elections. Have you lost faith in the country or prime minister? Do you expect changes in the politics, or did you vote because you can? 

I don't sound optimistic about the outcome? I responded "thank gawd for it" with respect to the campaigning and election being over soon... I find it all tedious and this has been the longest campaign/election ever. They are usually only thirty days long or so and even that feels too long at times Smile
Kaere
Kaere

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:16 pm

I thought you were saying thank God it's over, and not so much that you were glad changes are coming.
Do you think changes are coming? At least the reason you voted?

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next